Youth Powderhorn 11/18-20 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NWernig View Post
    For those that have hunted it,..... would it be reasonable to think that most, if not all, shots would be under 300 yards? or are there areas that you can see and shoot further than that?
    My son drew it last year - his Sambar shot was about 130 yds, and he shot a whitetail at about 60 yds. Most shots will be under 300 yds depending upon the compartment. The WMA is split up into compartments, the compartments to the West (closet to town/bay) have heavy cover. The Eastern compartments on the sea marsh could have some long shots. The road network is good, which provide some nice shooting lanes that could reach out there too.

Comment

For those that have hunted it,..... would it be reasonable to think that most, if not all, shots would be under 300 yards? or are there areas that you can see and shoot further than that?
      you can see a long way down some of the roads....but pretty much everything off the road at least in my section was thick and wouldnt really see too far unless you got up high

Comment

Thanks Yorkshire.... that's pretty much what I was thinking from looking at the map. Were y'all able to get out of the stand and walk around or did you have to hunt from the stand only?

Comment

Thanks Yorkshire.... that's pretty much what I was thinking from looking at the map. Were y'all able to get out of the stand and walk around or did you have to hunt from the stand only?
          Youth weekend 2022 had horrible weather - first day was in the thirties and raining. Staff are very flexible and will let you stay in the blind, drive around in your vehicle or walk - as long as you stay in your compartment. The stands are made from corrugated sheet metal and are open - they do not provide much cover to the wind and rain.
          After the first day, we were asked if we wanted to try a different compartment, and they gave us two smaller compartments joined together - Ranger told us where we would be able to drive to without getting stuck and recommended a few areas to go look on foot.
          If you do get a Sambar, you send the Ranger a text and they come out with the side by side to help you retrieve the animal and get it back to the cleaning station.

Comment

That's great and exactly what we wanted to hear. We are planning to hunt all day each day. Probably start the morning off in the blind for a little bit then get out and spend the rest of the day moving around. The first day seems like we will not get started until around noon after meeting and orientation- probably spend that time moving around and scouting the area assigned.

Comment

Yes,

3 Sambar Stags at 80yds, (could have been 10yds but none of us wanted to stick a .300WM out the truck window and shoot it) 130yds, 18yds. Could have shot numerous others under 200yds.
              1 Axis buck about 120yds.

unless you want to make it more sporting, I guess you could take shots over 300yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post

Yes,

3 Sambar Stags at 80yds, (could have been 10yds but none of us wanted to stick a .300WM out the truck window and shoot it) 130yds, 18yds. Could have shot numerous others under 200yds.
                1 Axis buck about 120yds.

unless you want to make it more sporting, I guess you could take shots over 300yds.
                Thanks for the info..... not looking to make it more sporting for the 12 year old. Just continuing to work on his "longer" shots and double checking that there really isn't a need for over 200-300 yard shots. Sounds like most of the times they are 100 yards and in

Comment

My wife shot hers at 120 in the pic. I shot mine at 175 after closing the gap from 400ish but it was getting dark. I stalked up within 20 yards of a young stag and have it on video. Stalking them is fun.

Attached Files

Comment

Spent the morning working on Neck shots….he’s getting it. Plus, my son, really enjoyed shooting at a target different than a bullseye

Comment

We spent some time looking at google maps and finding a lot of the stands. I would think that the stands that are closer to the coast (east side) would have higher sambar activity.
                      I know we only have so much say in stands/location, but was wondering if anyone had any advise or where they hunted in the past...? Thanks

Comment

The Sambar roam around all over, the axis are closest to the old ranch house. After the first day people will be asking to move around compartments and the staff will oblige where possible

Comment

My initial plan on my hunt a few years ago was to get a feel for my compartment by driving the roads and glassing after orientation to determine where I wanted to be set up. Ended up spotting a great stag bedded and stalked through some nasty oak brush to about 140 yards. There was basically a swamp between me and the stag so I sat down to wait him out and when he stood I shot him 1 1/2 hours into my hunt. Spent the rest of that day breaking him down and then the next morning they moved me to a different compartment with more axis where I shot a beautiful buck

Comment

One week away and very excited! Final preparations this week!

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus is Coming View Post
                              One week away and very excited! Final preparations this week!
                              We know the feeling. Got home from the lease today and started working on lists.

Yorkshire and Austin- appreciate the answers!

Comment

Jesus is Coming, NWernig...check your PMs.

Comment

Working...
                                X