Youth Powderhorn 11/18-20 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Powderhorn 11/18-20 2023

I can't believe it!! My 12 year old son drew Powderhorn for the youth hunt November 18-20. He drew it with 4 points. I didn't think he would ever draw this hunt. Really glad we got him a new rifle this past summer. Any advice?
    I have a camper that I could bring or should I just find a hotel?

my son hunted Powderhorn last year and it was awesome. He got a really nice whitetail buck(his first buck). Pretty exciting hunt as we were walking through chest high grass and the buck came running right up to us within 5 yards and had no idea we were there until the last second. He missed a couple of shots at Sambar hinds right at the end of the hunt. The Sambar were coming out to feed in a marshy area. Everything we saw while still hunting back and forth through his area so don't be afraid to get out and move around.

We stayed at a small air b&b about 15 minutes from the wma.

Comment

thats awesome...i had a thread from 2 years ago where i took both my sons, i cant fund it, maybe you can...lol

we stayed in a vrbo in port oconner, its right there next to the wma.

like said above, we saw most of our animals walking around

Comment

My son drew the January hunt on his last year of eligibility! I hunted there 3 years ago. We had our best luck walking around the compartment checking all of the water holes for sambar. We stayed at the poco loco lodge in Port O'Connor and it worked out great for us.

Comment

My son also drew 18-20 with four points.

Comment

Congrats to him. Mine is pending 2nd for his, fingers crossed he gets in.

Comment

Congrats, Brother! Can't wait to hear about it.

Comment

My son drew it too! He's pumped! He drew with 5 points.
                Last edited by Jesus is Coming; 09-06-2023, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I really hope we are able to get out of the stand and move around some (within reason safely) because we have a new setup for shooting. Going to do some shooting tomorrow and keep working on different possibilities and shooting positions.

Comment

the picture of the tripod you have is perfect if this is for whitetail as well. corn the roads and just walk or drive them he will see lots of whitetail. What are you planning on driving? i was lucky enough to hnt there last year. I went solo and lucked out with a nice whitetail buck with a cool buck and a nice sambar. i saw one male and lots of female sambar. If i didnt see a male i was going to shoot a female the last day as i saw a few every day. Hunt the water and flooded areas for the sambar. the whitetail were in great numbers and not a challenge off the roads. The biggest challenge was seeing over all the thick vegetation. The guys running the hunt are great and will try to point you in the right direction. I would climb on the cab of my truck every 500 yards or so and glass. i found multiple female sambar that way when driving around i wouldn't've have been able to see standing on the ground.

Comment

as far as sleeping theres a couple cheap hotels within 20 minutes.

Comment

link from mine last year. members here helped me out. definitely need tall rubber boots i wore my lacrosse and did fine but came close to swamping them a few times

Comment

ScreaminReels….. thanks for the response. It’s for the very first hunt for whitetail, sambar, the last few axis… I’m driving my truck but would like to bring my SxS if they let me. I’ve read some of your thread but will go back through it more thoroughly

Comment

Congrats! My youngest struck out on Powderhorn with 2 LP's.
                            We drove down last year to try for standby and struck out on that too! Y'all are giving me some hope though that she's only a year or 2 off from drawing possibly.

Comment

For those that have hunted it,..... would it be reasonable to think that most, if not all, shots would be under 300 yards? or are there areas that you can see and shoot further than that?

Comment

Working...
                              X