No announcement yet.

Matador WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late to the reply but here's what I've learned at Matador.

My dad and i have hunted Matador 6 or 8 times.
    Before It was done online you could ONLY apply to one area per category. Matador is a tough archery hunt with a lower success rate so fewer people would apply. As a result we were drawn often in a 10 year span and we would go standby in other years. This is the first time weve been drawn for anything since it went to the new system and are thrilled to be going back.

Water can be key.
    All living things need water.
    IF its drought conditions, water will be crucial.
    They got some rain this week but i dont think it was enough to leave anything standing.

Brush blinds, tripods and hang-ons.
    I prefer a brush blind to a pop-up (unless its cold)
    i have a super light aluminum tripod and i also use hang-ons to create platforms up in mesquite clusters. Basically anything to get just above eye level.

Find the food
    There are no food plots this year so native browse is what you have to work with... and its EVERYWHERE.

Geography
    Our last trip i used google maps to identify where they had to go up or around large draws. Put myself on a monster 12. He was broadside at 52 yards. I am VERY comfortable to 40 but just didnt take the shot. I have wondered "what if" ever since.

Whatever you do you will see deer. Getting the shot is a different story.

Enjoy the hunt for what it is.
    A week away from work in the outdoors with family and friends.

We'll be at the lower camoground in the big canvass bell tent. Our camp is always open.

Ivan
    Last edited by BirdHunter; 10-09-2023, 06:47 AM.

Comment

They got good rain last week. Every low area has water standing today. Most probably will be dry by next week, but creeks have a lot of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
        They got good rain last week. Every low area has water standing today. Most probably will be dry by next week, but creeks have a lot of water.
        Appears so...spoke to the office yesterday and they say it was over 2"

Comment

Working...
        X