No announcement yet.

Lake Amistad 23-24 Hunting Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water is still flowing from the Pecos and into the Rio Grande so the whites should be able to swim up… the current challenge is getting a boat launched out of the Pecos river ramp and going up river or really getting anywhere as the water is flowing but rather shallow…

I have been considering doing a yak trip up that way but need to check the conditions and see if it’s even feasible… if one can get to the highway bridge, which is a bit less than a mile up river of the ramp there will be plenty of water up there…

I have never really gone out with the intention of getting after whites during the spring run. I have gotten into schooling whites numerous times just by watching for the birds feeding on shallow bait… a light at night can also bring them in to the point you will catch more than you can clean…

stripers are slow according to some fishing reports I have read but some should be out there… I don’t believe they stock the lake at the numbers they used to so while there are stripers out there there are not a lot. There is a decent size cove on the Mexican side that seemed to really hold a lot of stripers. The commercial fishermen would tear them up out there… I was able to get into a few in the 15ish lbs. size. Cove is southwest of the box canyon area… i have no idea what that cove looks like at the current lake level.

with the current temps, water temps should be coming up and unless we revisit the cold snap temps from earlier in the year the black bass spawn is probably just around the corner… I haven’t really fished in a while but if big bass is something someone enjoys the spawn time is a good time to get into some big females… my personal best was 5 fish that weighed over 25 lbs in a two hour span… this was fishing from the shore… not sure if the fish quality/size is up to that with the lake being so shallow for so long…

whites are probably going up the devils river for sure… be mindful that there are different regulations once you make it up to the big satan canyon area… not sure a boat can get that far up but you could yak up that far for sure… I believe a permit is required even to just be on a yak in that part of the river…. You can potentially get into some small mouth bass up this way as well…
    Last edited by Pedernal; 02-11-2024, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Yakking the Devils river is on my bucket list for Sure!

Comment

Fixing to hit record lows since impoundment in 1969 sad times for amistad

link for pasted info in case someone is interested in coming out fishing:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	110
Size:	614.7 KB
ID:	26728696

Comment

Thanks for update, so what do u think impact will be on wildlife/deer will be with these low levels?

will be out there next week and do some hiking and exploring

Comment

Deer and sheep/goats will be just fine IMHO. Some of those exposed flats will produce good browse for them. Hopefully we get some rain soon as a lot of things are still brown out there… the more vegetation that grows while the water is low will help make it an amazing fishery once the water levels come back.

Comment

Working...
            X