***Official 2023-2024 LAKE WHITNEY & AQUILLA Hunting and Fishing Thread***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Storm View Post
    It sure was TG but it's not quite ready yet for the non boaters. There are a few people at Rock creek today.
    I heard great things about it a few weeks ago. So, I went up in there in my boat yesterday. It was crowded yesterday. I caught only one fish up in there. Didn't see anyone catching any fish in there. Plowman boat ramp was closed due to parking being full. I had to rent a campsite for $6, so I could legally have a place to park. Caught the rest of my fish else where.

I went up the Brazos Friday. It was a grind. Only boated 11 sandies and one 2 lb blue cat on a curly tail. Females that I caught there had already spawned out. Water temp was 65 at it's highest during the afternoon. Not a single crappie anywhere. I think with the elevated water level, they have a ton of places to hide in the flooded vegetation this year. Some of my old holes didn't even have any on the graph. Grandbury was releasing water Friday. But closed it down Friday night. That's why I went else where Saturday. I fished with jigs and with minners both days. Only caught one fish on a minner out of both days.

I may start baiting and catfishing early this year. Trees are already starting to bud. I think the spawn is going to be over with early this year, if the weather keeps the same pattern.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 02-25-2024, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Well, I took another day of vacay Friday to put fish in the boat. Only my motor wouldn't start for some reason. Ran fine last weekend. But would only intermittently hit at the ramp . Got it started for a few seconds yesterday. Then tore into it to make sure the fuel lines are all in order. So, no fishing for me this weekend. Or next. Cause I'll be cooking fish at Bownanza next Saturday, TBH's annual picnic.

Comment

After 7 12hour days I took the day off and went fishing. I found the bass but no crappie anywhere.

Comment

I went back again to the same area , it's kind of baffling only 2 Sandy's caught no matter what I tried. This isn't a normal area to catch them , and everyone I talked to said alot of bites but no takers.

Comment

Anybody got any solutions?

Comment

Anybody got any solutions?
              Go as soon as the storms are over, or before. They like moving water, when it is flowing. If it's heavily stained, use a chartreuse. If normal, use white. You could tie on both about 18-20 inches apart. I throw double rigs all the time. Sometimes I use two 1/16. Sometimes I'll put a 1/8th on the bottom and a 1/16 above it. That helps keep them lined up when you cast out, cause the heavier one will pull the other. But they also sink faster. So a slightly faster retrieve is needed. A tandem rig doubles the possibility of two fish at once, if the fish are tight together. I've caught both crappie and sandies at the same time also by running a black and chartreuse tube on top and a white curly tail on the bottom. I use unpainted leadheads most of the time. Or black ones. Sometimes they like white ones better than black. Flowrecent red head with a white body in the summer. Toadrunner makes them in a bucktail, curly tail, and feather tail. I've also used them with a 3' to 5' leader under a weighted bobber in river current. Throw up current and let it drift it back down stream. Real in and do it again. Keep the slack out of the line for setting the hook. I've fished for stripers the same way below the dams. Works with live bait too, if ya have some. But add a little weight about a foot above the hook to keep the bait down.

I'd go tomorrow afternoon in the rain after it gets flowing pretty good, just to check it out. But you will probably want to be there first thing Friday morning, pending how much rainfall we get tomorrow.

Blue cats will be bedding up very soon. I'm already seeing reports of them being caught in less than 10 feet of water.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-06-2024, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Went out today UT o ly caught 2 long nose gar and a small Buffalo 🐃 so home I went. Only 5 trucks at rock creek.

Comment

The Nolan peaked yesterday at 908 cfs. Already down to 327 cfs this afternoon, which is getting close to where I like it. I caught quite a few 3 and 4 weeks back, with flows up around 260 and down to around 80. I'm sure it'll be good tomorrow, but the wife and I have already planned on taking the boat out on the lake for catfish, so we'll stick with that. Probably hit the Nolan monday morning though. Pretty sure it'll be real good all week.....real crowded too, due to spring break.

Comment

Granbury has been releasing the last few days. Was over 1350 cfs mid day yesterday. And cut back to 450 something yesterday evening. Still same rate this morning. Should be good for the bluecat folks.

Comment

Are the crappie up in the creeks yet (still?)

Comment

I haven't been able to get out the last few weekends. Just ran Diagnostics software on my OB and found out one injector is not working. Don't know if it's from lack of electricity or if the injector somehow got damaged while towing to and from lake. Can't get to it this weekend. I've got family obligations.

Comment

Whitney has been letting out a bunch of water this week, 5250 to 4950 cfs, which has caused the lake level to drop. Grandbury has been releasing also. But is winding it down. A lake has been releasing a little bit as well.

Comment

After almost 2 months, and various other priorities, I finally got my OB running again this morning. Maybe I can still salvage something out of this spring fishing season before I put it away and winterize the boat for the summer.

Comment

Fishing at Aquilla today the blues have been working.

Comment

Fishing at Aquilla today the blues have been working.
                                Off one of the boat ramps? Or somewhere else? It's a pretty good lake for blues. I've caught a few there.

Comment

Working...
                                X