Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the COE is full of caca.

Comment

Not sure just yet, this was a conversation today with one of the rangers that’s going to get forwarded to higher ups.

I’ve never done a camera survey, but my general understanding of it has been to divide an area up by 100 acre plots and put a camera up for each one with some sort of number in the background for identification. Then each site is baited and cameras are left over a 14 day period.

This is all just stuff I’ve read off the NDA page which argues for running surveys early august or early February.

There are some logistics that make Lavon tricky. Lavon doesn’t allow hog hunting during deer season, so hauling in a bag of corn/etc during deer season would need some sort of identification to prove you’re not poaching with the Collin county and Lavon wardens.

Secondly, access onto corp property is pretty limited. I’ve hiked all over the property but the last time I was out there was around 4 years ago. The other question is as to whether the survey gets conducted on “huntable” areas or not, which would need to be answered.

I am going to try to see if I can arrange some sort of meeting with them and possibly TPWD to see if they’d be willing to give any sort of guidance on how best to conduct the survey.

If it’s 1 camera per 100 acres and all 6,500 acres are surveyed, that’s 65 cameras needed, plus bait.

Whether the survey is done mid season or out of season, the chance of theft is a real issue on that particular property so that’s also something folks would need to consider.

There’s a lot, but I’ll keep y’all posted.
      Last edited by Kirby86; 09-05-2023, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
        LADIES AND GENTLEMAN,

I got a response! In short...

There has NOT been a deer survey conducted on the Lavon Corp Of Engineers to ascertain the numbers. The reason being is due to funding.

So heres the fun part...

The Lavon Corp Of Engineers is looking for an Organization to take up the mantle and run a survey. A spotlight survey is not likely to work, so this would likely be via camera or some sort of drone survey.

I am in contact with the Corp to see what kind of data they will need... anyone else wanna volunteer for a camera survey? Feel free to comment or PM me.
        PM coming to you in a second Kirby

Comment

Working...
        X