Lake Lavon Deer Hunting - The Annual "Insufficient Numbers" argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Lavon Deer Hunting - The Annual "Insufficient Numbers" argument

This will be year 11 for TPWD opening up deer hunting in Collin County. As it stands, its a 4 deer AR county.
    The Corp of Engineers states that it currently "does not have a sufficient sustainable huntable population," as they have repeated for the past decade.
    And if you recall, last year TPWD seemed to think that there were sufficient enough numbers of deer to even contemplate opening Collin, Rockwall and Grayson county up for rifle hunting.

In 2017 I contacted the TPWD wildlife biologist for Collin County and asked how the Corp arrived at that conclusion. The answer I received is that the Corps doesn't have the resources nor the "desire" to do a proper study due to the lack of road access to the corp property.
    Maybe they don't have the budget, but I do know for a fact that several other lakes in the DFW area do aerial surveys to come up with their data.

I have a hard time seeing how there is no huntable population for the Corp Property with 6,000 acres yet there are enough deer for adjacent landowners to be able to harvest 3 deer (4th being a spike) in an AR County.

Alongside this, they've banned hog hunting during deer season on Corp property to attempt to curb poaching.
    Why not allow a limited draw archery hunt? On some of the draw hunt areas in DFW, permitted hunters are actually seen as an asset for preventing poaching.

Yet when I have contacted members of the Corp office to try to get data in regard to a survey, I have been told "insufficient numbers" yet I am not given any information as to how the survey was conducted.
    Clearly TPWD thinks the numbers are sufficient for the county or they wouldn't allow deer hunting.

Maybe I am just cynical, but this creates the appearance that the Lake Lavon Corp of Engineers is either too lazy to conduct a proper survey, doesn't want to deal with deer hunters, or in the worst case, they're anti-hunting.

Has anyone else directed some of these questions to the Corp Office lately? If there aren't sufficient numbers, when will there be? Is there a plan in place for 5-10 years from now?
    Last edited by Kirby86; 08-10-2023, 03:41 PM.

I've seen more deer on Corps land and the adjacent properties to believe they are full of it.

Comment

Years back this was on BHA’s radar… I guess I’ll have to poke the bear again on this.

Comment

After moving to Canton I haven't spent anytime on lavon but I used to hunt it pretty hard. And I know that 10 years ago I couldn't put a trail camera up without having deer all over it. Not to mention seeing them more often than hogs a lot of the time. Maybe they could let the hunters interested do all the leg work and go out and put up cameras for population surveys?

Comment

You could file a FOI for any document that the corps used to determine deer populations on federal lake Lavon property or any communication related to setting the hunting policies on federal Lake Lavon property. It's a headache but might move them off dead center, or at least force them to give the real reason.

Comment

Don't want anybody deer hunting but allow all of the local meth billies to drive all over the lake bottom in their atv.

Comment

They're full of it, someone needs to put in a formal inquest as to why they continue this song and dance. If the WMA manager changes I bet things would change overnight. Hunters/the public in the area need to start putting heat on the people in charge over there otherwise nothing will change. I would guess the real reason is the private property owners around there that are shooting booners because that got a several thousand acre refuge that borders their properties.
              Last edited by SC-001; 08-30-2023, 07:20 PM.

Comment

full of it, low funds and don't want to deal with deer hunters...Lord knows they love to ride 4-wheelers all over the lake.... I've seen deer hit on highway 78 by the road that leads to the corp office. Deer on side the road at PGBT and Brand road by the golf course... scrapes and rubs all over a bunch of parks.

Comment

FOIA Submitted.

I'll let ya'll know what I hear back.

Comment

Good job, someone around there needed to do it

Comment

In a perfect world the 6,000 acres thrive year after year but that’s not the case. When the lake floods the standing timber everything below it rots. No browse, no vegetation grows, it is truly wiped out and depending on when the flood hits it will take another year to get it back. So all those deer will start to leave because of the food source, not all will leave but it’s a cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by topher View Post
                        In a perfect world the 6,000 acres thrive year after year but that’s not the case. When the lake floods the standing timber everything below it rots. No browse, no vegetation grows, it is truly wiped out and depending on when the flood hits it will take another year to get it back. So all those deer will start to leave because of the food source, not all will leave but it’s a cycle.
                        What's your point? There are plenty of corp flood control lakes that allow deer hunting.
                        Last edited by SC-001; 09-04-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN,

I got a response! In short...

There has NOT been a deer survey conducted on the Lavon Corp Of Engineers to ascertain the numbers. The reason being is due to funding.

So heres the fun part...

The Lavon Corp Of Engineers is looking for an Organization to take up the mantle and run a survey. A spotlight survey is not likely to work, so this would likely be via camera or some sort of drone survey.

I am in contact with the Corp to see what kind of data they will need... anyone else wanna volunteer for a camera survey? Feel free to comment or PM me.
                          Last edited by Kirby86; 09-05-2023, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Sounds like all the corp hunters in that area need to touch base. If I lived up there I would be volunteering every spare game cam I had, DFW public hunters here's your chance.
                            Last edited by SC-001; 09-05-2023, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Kirby, I have 4 cameras, what dates might we be looking at, and how/who will be evaluating the results? I have no desire to drive across the metro mess to hunt Lavon, but if I can help open it up I’m game.

Comment

Working...
                              X