Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa Unit 4 not listed for National Refuge Archery Hunt- Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prodigyoutdoors View Post

lmao thats more people than ive seen on opening day in iowa regular gun season on public land lmaoooo
    Well I like to setup along trails, I just didn't realize it was a pumpkinhead trail instead of an animal trail. LOL
    I knew people would be walking by because of where I was, what was puzzling were the ones who continually walked back and forth and around the edges of the brush out in the open fields. Looked more like rattlesnack or arrowhead hunting than big game.

Comment

The rattlers are a real concern. Tall grass, can’t always see where you put your feet. I missed stepping on one by a few inches. I saw it as my foot was coming down about to land on the middle of the snake. I managed to stretch the step out and jump a little more forward. 7ft rattle snake. Scared the hell out of me. I knew I was gunna get bit, was waiting on the hit in the back of the leg as my foot came down.

Comment

Yep, walked up on a FAT snake one evening out there this last year during monsoonfest, length was only about 5', maybe pushing 6' but man that thing had the biggest head and fattest body ever. I was about one full stride away when I saw it coiled up on the trail I was on, stopped and took a step back and stood there. He came uncoiled and slid off next to the trail under a bush and coiled back up with it's head raised, no rattling at all. I took a wide berth around that snake. Next morning before daylight, same exact spot there he was coiled up again in the trail. This time I stopped and stood two steps back and it casually slithered off like no big deal. I'd like to think it recognized me or something and knew I wasn't a threat, but in reality probably had more to do with the headlamp on him. That was the last time I took that trail.

Comment

It blows my mind when I see people out there without snake boots. The young bull I shot out there a couple of years ago went into the thickest nastiest grass/brush before piling up. I passed several of the monster snakes mentioned above both tracking and hauling out the bull. It's amazing to me how big they get. I thought we had big snakes in West Texas but they don't compare to Coastal south Texas.

Comment

Working...
          X