Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa Unit 4 not listed for National Refuge Archery Hunt- Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa Unit 4 not listed for National Refuge Archery Hunt- Why?

The National Refuge Archery deer hunt for Laguna Atascosa states this hunt will be conducted on units 1,2,3,5,6, and 8 only. What happened to unit 4 which was open last year? This is the unit accessible only by boat across the arroyo from the park. This is public land and I would like to understand why access is not allowed now.

Call em?

Comment

Yep, call em and let us know their reasoning.

Comment

I saw this too, but apparently @mr public said unit 4 is listed in the regs for Laguna, but not sure where he is seeing that... It may just be an error on the page. If they did remove it, I would image its due to them not wanting the boat traffic out there. You probably just shouldn't apply to this one, lol

Comment

Haha. I will definitely apply either way because at least there is close to 50% chance of drawing the hunt. I will be highly disappointed though if they don't make 4 available. In my case I didn't cause much of a boat traffic problem last year. I crossed the arroyo with my kayak and pulled up on shore.

Comment

I don't think the 50% chance of selection is true anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
              Never was for me, drew on my 4th year applying IIRC.

Comment

Last year was 1921 applicants for 800 permits according to TPWD. I looked at the brochure TPWD links to Laguna and it has 2023-24 hunt regulations, but the map shows 2022-23.

It seems like they update the TPWD hunt catalog every day so maybe they'll change this hunt description soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  Last year was 1921 applicants for 800 permits according to TPWD. I looked at the brochure TPWD links to Laguna and it has 2023-24 hunt regulations, but the map shows 2022-23.

It seems like they update the TPWD hunt catalog every day so maybe they'll change this hunt description soon.​

I predict this year will have many more applicants after having this hunt opportunity posted on a million follower platform on social media. I guess we will see in 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post

It seems like they update the TPWD hunt catalog every day so maybe they'll change this hunt description soon.​

I predict this year will have many more applicants after having this hunt opportunity posted on a million follower platform on social media. I guess we will see in 2024.
                    Hopefully it's like Aransas Pass... people go out there to hunt once, realize how brutal it is, step on a rattlesnake or two, pray they don't get malaria, walk their bike back to their truck with two flat tires, and don't apply again, lol!
                    Last edited by ZINS708; 07-14-2023, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post

Hopefully it's like Aransas Pass... people go out there to hunt once, realize how brutal it is, step on a rattlesnake or two, pray the don't get malaria, and don't apply again, lol!
                      Last year I used the Seek app on my phone to figure out what the giant ants were that were going back and forth all around me. Turns out they were Texas bullet ants.

I didn’t get got by any so I’ll be reapplying this year.

Comment

It's definitely not an easy hunt. It will be interesting to see how the odds look a few years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                          It's definitely not an easy hunt. It will be interesting to see how the odds look a few years from now.
                          People walking their Wal-Mart special bikes back with two flat tires is a daily occurrence on this hunt

Comment

Originally posted by ZINS708 View Post

Hopefully it's like Aransas Pass... people go out there to hunt once, realize how brutal it is, step on a rattlesnake or two, pray they don't get malaria, walk their bike back to their truck with two flat tires, and don't apply again, lol!

I think unfortunately there will be a consistent flow of newbies from those social media posts. Some of those guys will probably buy their permits and not even show up, which is sort of good for crowding but it does take a slot away from others.

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post

Last year I used the Seek app on my phone to figure out what the giant ants were that were going back and forth all around me. Turns out they were Texas bullet ants.

I didn’t get got by any so I’ll be reapplying this year.
                            My buddy got hit, twice, by those last year. He said the pain was pretty insane. I had them crawling on my pack and when I set my hat down on a tree also. After he got hit the first time I was a little more careful where I put my stuff.

Comment

[QUOTE=justletmein;n26533167]

"I think unfortunately there will be a consistent flow of newbies from those social media posts. Some of those guys will probably buy their permits and not even show up, which is sort of good for crowding but it does take a slot away from others."

Yessir- after people put it into Mapquest and see how far down south it is...several people change their mind..

Comment

Working...
                              X