No announcement yet.

LBJ Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't camp. It is only about 45 minutes from my door to my trees. Anyway, we will hook up and hunt again. Good Luck to you both!! A compass would be highly reccomended!!LOL

Comment

What a zoo

The grasslands was crowded this weekend, had a bunch of kids camped bout 200 yds away not only waz they shootin at nothing in the woods they was a shootin in camp till at least nine last night, I was a trying to hunt 16 abit with one other feller on the place (had a recurve) but with all them kids runnin around shootn the place up I finally give up on the huntn and just decided to scout the unit out the best I could, if there was any deer about I,m sure they had departed the area for quieter climate, interesting unit. Never saw so many horse riders and trailers in my life, not many of them wearing orange either, I sure wouldn't want my kids riding horses around there without orange on witha bunch of fruit loops runnin around shooting the place up like that. I hadda go and see if I could find some quieter territory on some of the more remotely located areas. Anybody have any luck I did find some country that I want to check out a bit futhur later on, can anybody give me any info on what is up with the rut, did we miss it or are they waiting on cooler weather that is supposed to be coming later this week Thanks

Comment

Was the shooting family a young boy about 12 and another about 8-9 with both a Father and Mother letting them shoot? No orange or anything just shooting?
        So why didn't you call the wardens/county sheriff? For one, it's dangerous, 2.-it's against the law , 3. there's no 'target practice' allowed accept on section 3.
        I would have called the law in a heartbeat and if it's the same family that was out there about amonth ago, they would definitely have ticketed them this time!

Comment

Yep, I'm planning to be up there Dec.8-10th. Keeny Stempson, aka Switchback, also got drawn for the doe tag. I missed getting drawn this year. So if I havn't tagged out by then, I'll buck hunt. If I have tagged out, then I'll be camp cook.

Comment

LBJ fruit loops

No, wasn't a family at all, had spoken to them briefly as I was pulling in, was 3 older boys about 16-19 or so and had a couple of younger boys with them about 13-14 or so, no adult supervision as I could tell, thought maybe dad had gone into town or something. Would have called the ranger later that night but no signal on cell phone. Didn't look like the younger boys had guns, because they walked through my campsite on their way to the woods and they weren't armed, they were all wearing orange. Looked like everybody had pulled out of there, so I kind of good sported it and supervised them from afar if you know what I mean. As I said there didn't appear to be anybody else hunting over there except one other guy and he kind of boogied on by into the woods and didn't come out until well after dark, he didn't appear to be interested in any conversation, may have been upset I was in his honey hole as I have never seen anybody hunting or stopped there before but I have hunted there 3 or 4 times now, mostly just scouting, getting the lay of the land so to speak looking for the game trails, funnels ya know. Besides I figured if the ranger would catch em' on his own before long if they kept it up much longer.

Comment

Grasslands rut

Rickzilla4645,

Guess ya missed it or at least the first round. The bucks were chasing does big time the first week and a half of gun season. It's slowed down lately but there should be another round of does coming in heat this week into next (28 days later). I'm sure the cold weather coming will stir them up.

I saw a mature buck last Wed. morning and he let two does go right by while he fed.

The next two weeks may be the last chance to see some of the nocturnal bigboys.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Froggy

That sounds like the story of my life, kind of limited to when I can do things cause of work and such which would explain why I have consitantly missed the spawn at Lake Fork for like the last 15 yrs. gotta work. Gonna sure try to get up there again this next weekend check out some new spots I found. Come to think about it that sure did look like Bowhuntntxn walking into the north side of 16 Sat afternoon, drivn a silver Silverado, with I believe a muzzleloader and comn out Sun morning with a recurve, was wearing the same kind of camo as in the picture. Real tall fellow, if it was that was me camped on the so. side of the fence in the pine trees with the two Irish Setters, nice place to camp. 'Cept for the chiggers, **** things ate me up!!!!

Comment

Saw some pics this morning of two 8 points taken near Cottonwood lake and a small buck taken by a young lady behind the old work center.

Law Enforcement had a busy weekend out there and saw several nice deer taken.

Next weekend should be great with more does coming in heat and the cold front arriving.

Comment

Rickzilla,
                    That wasn't me. I was in a different unit Saturday afternoon with Brian and Rhonda. That was all the hunting I did this weekend. I figgured as busy as it was, the best place for me was not there. Sorry you didn't connect. I have seen a couple of smaller bucks scent checking the ground looking for hot does. I personally think that EVERYTHING has gone nocturnal, and will stay that way until way late in the season. I will be hitting some more remote areas soon, and using plans B,C and D for sure. Good Luck to all.

Comment

I was out there from Thursday afternoon until Sunday noon, didn't see a dang thing but some nice areas that had buck sign all over the place. I found a rub line that I would just love seeing the buck. He had these 4 inch sapplings all tore up. They were fresh as sap was still running from the cedar ones. I am thinking with the full moon approaching they should kick back into high gear and act silly enough to get a shot at them.

I saw the buck taken at Cottonwood lake, they had it hanging in the tree at the boat ramp. It was a nice little eight, not much on the main beam but for a public land buck it was a nice trophy.

Pat saw you parked by the unit down from the camp site. I was going to over and see if I could see you but didn't want to disturb your truck. haha.

Yes there were a lot of folks out there this past weekend. as we were coming out of the woods Sunday morning, ran across some teen sitting in a tree half asleep. I made a little noise so that he wouldn't wake up and shoot me. Then as we were close to camp, had a 15 year old sitting in the tall grass over looking a trail we came in on. This kid only had orange plastic wrapped around him for his aorange in the woods, not a real vest.

I looked for a few of you out there (not real hard) but didn't see any one but my old friends. John's wife shot at a doe @ 50 yards or closer, knocked her against the fence but did not find her. They said they didn't even find any blood. They saw a few does and small bucks but they never came in and give them a good shot. I heard a few more sightings but no one could connect.

I am hoping to (after my national test) get back out and see if I can fill my buck tag. I wish you all the best of luck for the rest of the season and hope I can connect with you all out there before the end of the season. I drive a blue T-100 and have a camo pop up, can't really miss me. hahahaha!!!

Comment

From my experience on the public land I've hunted over the past several years everything seems to go nocturnal after thanksgiving, unless its bitter cold, only then might you catch deer moving during the daylight.

Comment

Well it looks like the wife and i will be up there this weekend trying our luck again and hopefully not frezzing our as$es off.not sure where we will be camping gonna try unit 31 to camp and another unit to hunt....Good luck to everyone this weekend...Brian

Comment

Brian, my best to you and Ronda this weekend. I saw deer every day over the holidays, mornings and evenings. Thier still moving. Just didn't see anything I'd like to shoot. I did have a 7 pt chase a doe under my stand twice. He was trying to run her down. Saw a nice three year old 8 that came in when I had 13 or 14 does, nubbins, and yearling does under me. More were flowing and I lost count after that. The 8 just wanted to eat. Then he left. It was good to see the 7 still chasing. I've seen-um chase untill the last of Dec some years. Just depends on the does and if their receptive the first, second, or even third go-around.
                            Back in 1984, I was on a corprate hunt in Llanno and a guy in our group dropped a big doe the first weekend in Dec. She had a fawn in her, almost fully developed. Bout made him sick. Now figure the conception date of that fawn.

Comment

That's o.k. Bowhuntntxn

Sorry, fella just had on the same kind of camo, Derek and I are going to try to get back up there this weekend, figures that nobody seems to be seeing anything and one lucky fella has a full blown deer party goin on under his tree, they waz havn a little sumthin to eat, they waz havn a little sex, they had all the wives and mistresses and all the kids and their friends a swimmn in the pool, they had "Pole Cat and the Wascally Weasels" playn in the band, and a grand time was had by all, no wunder dey wazn't anywherz else, dey had all been invited to the big shindig over under "dat tree"! Must have been the scent you were wearing, wasn't that homebrew oak leaf concoction I saw in the D-I-Y forum (what a great idea) was it, really got me to thinking, something in a leafy floral maybe with a little Spanish Moss thrown in for that tangy lingering after whiff with just a touch of road kill dead skunk for that real authentic slap in the snout, "No doubt that waz Stinky Willy, Bernice, he just loves runnin around in the woods doin that", ya woulda thought that at least one of woulda been a cranky ol party pooper and been somewhere I mighta hadda chance to track im and wack im. Thanks for all of the input on the rut and everything guys your sum regular troopers, we will be huntn some real remote units and I drive a 2005 black Dodge ext cab ifn ya wanna say Hey Thanks again

Comment

Buck-a-do

Hey it was a pleasure to meet you this Sunday up there,and thanks for some advice,i will have to try to put it to use real soon,i'm really getting frustrated about not harvesting anything this year,although we did see a total of 5 doe's,and i guess thats better than not seeing anything......Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X