No announcement yet.

Lake Meredith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit McBride Canyon tonight, sat for three hours up on the Mesa edge with 15x50 binos on a tripod, and a spotting scope as well. From 4pm until 15 minutes before dark and never saw one deer out there.
    There was almost no grass growth this year out there, and everything is so dry it's a wonder it hasn't already ignited on it's own. I've been out there for three years now, have never seen it this bad. It's a wonder anything would stay there with how dry it is...

Comment

I was out there Fri for scouting, we saw 5 whitetail on a canyon real close to the parking area from inside the truck. We hiked into Devil's Canyon and camped close to the 1.5 mile marker. We spotted a buck Sat. morn 1.5 miles south of us, we know cause we passed the 3 mile marker on way to him. We ended up seeing a couple of does as well that were close to him (all whitetails). We had 1 doe come within about 100 yards of us in a lil clearing in the valley but as soon as she went back in the brush she was gone. We lost the buck we were after and we made our way into Devil's Canyon. This was the first time we have ever been there and man that place makes you feel small! We spotted what we think was a mulie coming down the canyon but it was so far back into the canyon wew lost it and decided to go back to camp and rest and get ready for the evening hunt. My hunting buddy had an 8" giant desert centipede go up his pant and bit him on the thigh and we didnt know if it was poisonous or not so we hiked all our stuff back to the truck just in case. It turned out it is venomous but not deadly unless you're allergic to them. That thing was one nasty lookin lil *******. So that ruined our Sat. evening hunt and we decided to hunt to the north of the truck and we didnt see anymore deer on Sunday. We think the deer are closer to the lake. We just expected to see way more deer but they just werent there. I have to say even though we werent successful that was a great experience. I wish there was public land of that caliber closer to home, we drove 8 hours 1 way to get there.

Comment

Was out there this morning, followed the road across Mullinax crossing and made it over to Big Canyon. Was all set up to glass before daylight over there, never saw anything moving.
        It rained last night, a lot of mud out there right now. River bed is still dry. Still not much for the deer to feed on out there.

Comment

Had a friend take a mulie buck down near mullinaw 2 weeks ago. Was thinking of going out there next week but he only saw a few small does.

I think the drought has slowed them down.

Comment

Was out this morning to the Plum Creek area, hiked back in to Devils Canyon.
            I finally saw some deer, which to me is a huge success out there!
            2 does and 1 fawn, which surprisingly headed out to the dead brush of the lake bottom to bed just before you get to Devil's Canyon.

Here are some pics for you guys:

Comment

Some more:

Last weekend: Big Canyon

Comment

Wow looks really dry nothing growing but mesquite's! I was going the last weekend but don't look like I'm going to be able to go! Good luck to you guys that hunt there the rest of the season and post your outings here!

Comment

Hunted the sanford yake area friday and saw six does. Monday morning i hunted the Bugbee area and saw nothing. Wind was up.

Hope this helps yall out.

Will update as I hunt.

Comment

I always hunted Mullinaw trail. Walk the trail and then climb on top of the canyon. Walk the fencline to the next canyon. Always saw deer and killed two nice bucks there in two years of hunting there. They come off the private land at first and last light. It's a dang good hike though.

Comment

Any recommendations on camping sites? I think me and some buddies are going there later in the season for the first time, and thinking of camping at Mullinaw, Mcbride, or Plum Creek. Any suggestions?

Comment

Me and a couple of buddies are heading out the end of this month. Never been out there before. Any tips on camping or something we will need to bring to make the trip better?

Comment

Texas Bound i am doing the same thing. We are going the wknd after thanksgiving. We have never been there either and not too sure what to expect. Sure lookin forward to it.

Comment

I went for the 1st time this year on the opening day of bow season. They have really great camping areas. We went to Plum Creek and hiked in and camped at the 1 1/2 mile marker but if I had to do it agaon I'd probably stay at the camping areas and hike in in the morning and glass on a tall hill. We campled on a huge hill at the mouth of a canyon. Beware of centipedes!!!!! My buddy had 1 go up his leg and bite him on the inner thigh!!! But hopefully it'll be too cold for em when you go up there. Even though we did see a buck and a few does the hunting was not easy and with the rifle hunters it will probably make it even tougher. We think the deer were closer to the lake due to the extreme draught. Good luck and let us know how you did.

Comment

Working...
                            X