No announcement yet.

Trinity River NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna try to get out there next weekend. Haven't got anything set in stone but if anybody wants to go let's talk about it.

Comment

I work 8 days in a row starting thursday...i'm going to TRY to get out wednesday...as i have never even been there before

Comment

Watch the ticks guys. Worked at our lease in the area the last two days and there are alot of them. Also saw an old nine point with some serious mass but his antlers went straight up. Close to 13". Hope to see him on the stand.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Still haven't got out there yet. Hopefully tomorrow

Comment

Just got back from the Page unit. Been out there all day. Found a scrape and a rub and decided to keep looking, well after 4 hours of scouting and humping around 30lbs of tree stand, I ended right back at the same scrape. Came across somebodies climbing stand, which looked like it was in an awesome area, and a pop up on one of the old trails. So if they belong to anybody here, they're still there. All I know is I logged a LOT of miles today. But it's all good, cause I got my stand setup. Just hope it's still there Saturday!

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

jbird, hows it going having any luck?

Comment

No luck at all. I've seen one four point that was illegal and one small doe that was on the run. Out of the first 12 days of the season I hunted 8 of them. And some days I sat in the stand ALL day. Haven't hunted the last six days but I'm gonna try again tomorrow. I heard of two does being killed so far, but that's just me. I had 141 pics on my camera over a four day period, with a decent 8 point, and every single pic was at night.

Comment

Thanks for the update. How frustrating. Maybe this front will turn things around

Comment

Well the bow season ended yesterday, so did anybody get anything. I heard of a doe or two but was wondering if anybody got a buck. I never saw anything while in the stand after my second sit, but saw several while walking back in. Hope y'all had a more successful government land hunt than me!

Comment

Didn't do any good this year but didn't spend enough time scouting either

Comment

I just found this thread and my Dad and I saw a few doe, button buck, small 8pt. Our camera had a few hogs but they are not running much in the area we hunted. We didn't kill anything, it was my Dads first year bow hunting and he clean missed two. We were hunting towards the river, a lot of gun hunting going on private land during bow season right next to the Page unit. I believe the best chance was opening weekend, after all the shooting I heard opening weekend of bow season from neighbors I doubt there were many left for us real bow hunters. Page unit is a lot of walking, we were back about 2.5 miles from the parking with tree climbers. There is a lot of land we didn't hunt so may be next year we will find a better area.

We will be on the hirsch unit for muzzle loading and there is another place that opens next weekend that is bow only, I don't remember the name of the unit but we will give it a try.

Stan.

Comment

I thought I would add that some hunters strategy seemed to be walking the roads and after the first two weeks we didn't see any new signs of deer along the roads, the rubs and scrapes were abandoned. Rules said no hunting the trails and I ended up walking right past someone who setup a popup on the main trail to get to my hunting area. If that was any of you I apologize but in my opinion the trails were not intended to be hunted so I felt I had the right to quietly go by in the dark before hunting time started.

Stan.

Comment

Squirrel season opened up the same weekend as bow. Might be what you heard, not fake bow hunters. Hopefully anyway. Haven't shot anything yet. Did see a decent one.

Comment

Originally posted by RockTippedStick View Post
                                Squirrel season opened up the same weekend as bow. Might be what you heard, not fake bow hunters. Hopefully anyway.
                                x2!!! This is probably the case!

Comment

Working...
                                X