Trinity River NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinity River NWR

Has anyone ever had any succuss hunting this area? I searched for previous threads and it seems some TBHers have drawn it but never have posted how they did. To me it means either it was a waste of time so they didn't post or it was good so they are keeping quiet. I usually hunt SHNF, but wanted to add this to my choices to maybe improve my chances of getting a hog. thanks for any help

Originally posted by Italianxbowuser View Post
    Has anyone ever had any succuss hunting this area? I searched for previous threads and it seems some TBHers have drawn it but never have posted how they did. To me it means either it was a waste of time so they didn't post or it was good so they are keeping quiet. I usually hunt SHNF, but wanted to add this to my choices to maybe improve my chances of getting a hog. thanks for any help
    call them from the number in the book and ask a ranger.

Comment

I'm plannin on applying this year... Its only bout 45 min or so from the house. I have a feeling its probably pretty tough hunting because there is probably heavy hunting pressure in that area both in and out of season!

Comment

Originally posted by Solocam16 View Post
        I'm plannin on applying this year... Its only bout 45 min or so from the house. I have a feeling its probably pretty tough hunting because there is probably heavy hunting pressure in that area both in and out of season!
        Unfortunately I have read that poaching is a problem. I have also read that Champion Lake has dried up from 800 acres to 50 acres. Still going to put in for the waterfowl hunt there as well and hope for rain.

Comment

where did you see Trinity River NWR listed? I don't see that listed in the table of contents in the booklet

Comment

RiverRat,
            its not in the book. check out this link, click on hunting and it's all explained there. I plan to put in for the archery and waterfowl hunt

Trinity River National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1994 to protect a remnant of the bottomland hardwood forest found along the Trinity River. The 30,000-acre refuge is part of the National Wildlife Refuge System – a national network of lands and waters set aside and managed for the benefit of wildlife, habitat and you. A visit to the refuge could result in a glimpse of a bald eagle, Swainson’s warbler, or even a swallow-tailed kite overhead. A ride on refuge waters might result in sightings of American alligators, alligator gar, and even alligator snapping turtles.
            Last edited by Italianxbowuser; 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

interesting.................

Comment

Thanks Italian X. Funny I grew up right next to Champion and I never knew this. My uncle guided duck hunts on champion back in the 70s and the stories he tells about the ducks and the fish they caught out of there are amazing.

Comment

I hunted it last year w/ Axisbuck. Saw a couple doe and tons of pig sign. Animals just did not move well for us. We saw no animals brought in. I would hunt it differently today and not set-up the way we had.

Comment

Riverrat, I have read the duck hunting was amazing back in the day with a lot of greenheads. I think they turned the old paper company lodge into a visitor center.
                    East tx. I'm sure, like SHNF, it's going to take me awhile to start killing anything. just looking for a backup plan when i don't think i can make it to the forest in time.
                    also instead of getting in line at 8pm the night before, and wading through a mile of muck, at Justin Hurst only to shoot 2 ducks; i can sleep a little longer to only shoot 2 birds

Comment

ok, so is this thing worth a try or not???

Comment

they built their duck blinds in the trees up high and shot more mallards and wood ducks than you can image. Nothing like duck hunting in the timber.

Comment

s

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                            they built their duck blinds in the trees up high and shot more mallards and wood ducks than you can image. Nothing like duck hunting in the timber.
                            Wow..that sounds awesome

Comment

Trinity river NWR. Good and bad. Saying there is poaching there is an understatment. I havent ever seen a huge buck killed there but have heard of a couple of decent ones. I hunt some private close to there and the hogs havent been there like in years past and we still have water. Going tomorrow for two days see what the deer look like and do some scouting. I will probably be trying to get a little more hunting in at Sam Houston NF

Comment

Working...
                              X