No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great. Thnaks. There's so many rules and laws these days governing these things, it makes my brain hurt. But this stuff is still way easier to to try and remember than actual penal code verbiage. I guess I'm waiting till sept. oh well, more time to save for a gps as well as bow I have in mind.

Comment

Sam Houston National Forest WMA: Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Phone: (936) 344-6205
      Address:
      PO Box 868
      Livingston, TX 77351

Dates Open: Open year round.

General Access
      For information on Sam Houston National Forest.

Permits Required
      Hunters 17 years of age and older must possess an Annual Public Hunting Permit and valid hunting license. No permit is required for non-consumptive use. Check the current Public Hunting Lands map booklet for "Special Regulations in effect on US Forest Service Units."

What would this statement I found on the TPWD page mean compared to what the APH book describes? Is it a contradiction or am I reading it wrong again? I've been meaning to make a trip to the rangers office to ask my book's worht of clarification questions, guess I need to get on that soon.

Comment

I don't know about a permit just to scout. I have camped at Sam Houston many times and walked all over the place. No permit needed. There are people riding bikes there all the time and you don't need a permit for that either. I believe the lpu is for fishing and such where the general public isn't allowed. At Sam Houston I'm pretty sure that you can walk around until your legs give out without any permit required.

Comment

I agree, it is very confusing.

That's why I always start my scouting after the new APH permits come out, unless I have purchased the permit the year before.

Good luck this year guy's!

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer View Post
            well thank you very much, i have found some ponds and a little stream, like i said i saw 8 deer have do you know what time between the morning vs evening is better to get them i want a small pig good eating
            Both morning and evenings are good times to hunt pigs. Right at dawn and dusk.

Comment

It's not confusing it's a National Forest first and a WMA second. You only need a permit if you have a weapon and or hunting. When scouting with out any weapons on your person you don't need any permits. You do need to wear a hunter orange vest and cap while hunting. Ever since we have been able to hunt year round for hogs, I've worn my hunter orange while in the woods hunting or not.

Comment

Well I'm glad I read this thread, I last hunted the forest two years ago and for some reason, at that time I remembered reading something about needing the LPU permit for all non-hunting activities, so thanks for the clarification. It's not confusing, just that the N.F. website is very limited in information and when looking at the TPWD book, you read about the LPU and makes you think twice. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I always have my AHP and I always wear my hunter orange. So I should be good to go. I was hoping to do a bit of scouting this weekend. It looks like the weather might dump some rain....and we need it. Plus with some rain it will get the hogs moving and will make checking out areas for new tracks much easier.

Comment

Good luck on your scouting trips, due to my schedule and wife's upcoming birthday I don't believe I will be able to make it out until the week of August 15, but hopefully the rain will allow you to find some fresh tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                      I always have my AHP and I always wear my hunter orange. So I should be good to go. I was hoping to do a bit of scouting this weekend. It looks like the weather might dump some rain....and we need it. Plus with some rain it will get the hogs moving and will make checking out areas for new tracks much easier.
                      Give me call tonight if you want to head out in the morning ..... scout or take the bows for some oinkers ...

Comment

Well,, just got up ... About to eat breakfast and head out to do a little scouting this morning.....

Damian ,give me call if your in the area and want to do lunch.....

Comment

Good luck

Comment

I just got back from the woods, it was a good start I saw fifteen deer, does and fawns no bucks I put my trailcams. I started some scrapes in some prime areas I hope that bucks start checking out the starter scrapes, I'll post any pics in about three weeks

Comment

I watched a BIG group of does for about 15 minutes this morning ....the woods were sure lively.....
                              Going to hit it again in the morning ..

Comment

Kevin, Sorry, I did not make it out there today. My wife came back in town and wanted to go out last night. Had some good food with some friends, my wife and son. Stayed out a bit late and at 3:40am I rolled out of bed to head up there, but man was I tired. I headed back to bed. I might try and head out next weekend, just have to see what is on my schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X