No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, just woke up about to head out there again this morning..... "Nothing better than a long walk in the woods watching everything wake up"

Comment

Good luck Kevin. Are you going to the pond? Wish I was out there.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
        Good luck Kevin. Are you going to the pond? Wish I was out there.

Nope I did not go to the pond. I was looking at another place. I have seen does on every trip to this area . I just have not come across any buck sign.

Any of you guys on here marking your tree with Pink and White ribbon ? Whoever had this one marked is on a HOT trail. "Sorry no pictures ,I dont want to give away anybody's location....

Comment

When I was out there last year the pink and white ribbon was being used by the forest service to mark different harvest areas, or something to that effect. If it was only one tree, then probably a hunter, if there were several I would say forest service.

Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles1181 View Post
            When I was out there last year the pink and white ribbon was being used by the forest service to mark different harvest areas, or something to that effect. If it was only one tree, then probably a hunter, if there were several I would say forest service.

Eagle
            That is good news... there was single ribbon on a couple trees leading to another tree that had three on it ... Forest service ?

Comment

x2 on the forest service. they had my area marked up pretty good last year.

Comment

Could be FS or a hunter. Did you look at the ribbon and see if it had any printed letters or numbers on it? If so then that is usually the forest service. Was it the reflective pink and white? If so that is probably a hunter, I do not think the FS uses that....(too expensive)

Good news on the does Kevin. Sounds like you have a great spot to hunt opening morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles1181 View Post

Eagle
                  I have seen the FS use that tape to mark boundries either for woodpecker stands to be cleared or a fire break for a future burn.

Comment

Most hunters I know including myself use all different color marking tape including pink. And may mark a tree more than once as a marker .

Comment

Most people that mark with tape end up getting their tape moved before the season starts. (ask me how I found that out) Seems someone thought it would be funny to have me walking to the wrong area on opening morning, luckily I recognized it righ off and was able to walk to my tree with out it.

There are some area's that could use some buring. It would be nice if the would burn the archery only area near the SP. That area is so thick. I think it could be pretty productive if it were thinned out.

Comment

Can someone tell me how gun hunters apply for doe permits for the forest?

Comment

What up Damian? I have been checking in from time to time. I have not been up to my usual area yet. Probably going to head up there weekend after next. I will let you know how it looks. Plan on hunting same spot opening weekend. Smasher, you doing well? I am pretty sure you have been doing your homework already! Any pork lately? I will be in touch when we get a little closer. Only around 60 days till smack down!

Comment

[QUOTE=huntinfool;4012323]Most people that mark with tape end up getting their tape moved before the season starts. (ask me how I found that out) Seems someone thought it would be funny to have me walking to the wrong area on opening morning, luckily I recognized it righ off and was able to walk to my tree with out it.

Been there and it sucks! Luckily I had my gps with me.

Comment

Coullion,I copied this from the Map Booklet for Public Hunting Lands.
                              Hopefully this helps and good luck.

ANTLERLESS DEER PERMITS
                               You must be in possession of a USFS Anterless Deer Permit
                              to take antlerless deer during the general season on Units
                              902, 903, 904, and 905, that are wildlife management areas
                              jointly managed by TPWD and the USFS.
                               USFS antlerless deer permits are not required during the
                              Archery Only, Youth Only, or an established Muzzleloader Only
                              season on USFS units.
                               The USFS offers a limited number of permits to hunt antlerless
                              deer during the general open season on four of their
                              units (Unit 901 is exempt). Hunters wishing to apply for antlerless
                              permits should apply: (a) online through the USFS Web
                              site (see below) or (b) by sending a postcard with the words
                              “Antlerless Permit,” the hunt area, name, mailing address, and
                              the applicant’s 2010-2011 hunting license number. Only one
                              hunter’s name per postcard and only one application per
                              hunter allowed. Youth hunters participating in the general
                              season antlerless permit hunts must include the words “Youth
                              Only Permits,” the hunt area, youth name, youth mailing
                              address, and youth 2010-2011 hunting license number.
                              Deadline to apply is Oct. 1, 2010. All adult and youth postcard
                              applications must be mailed to U.S. Forest Service, Attn:
                              Antlerless Deer Permits, 415 S. First St., Ste. 110, Lufkin, TX
                              75901. There will be a drawing in mid-October to select a
                              limited number of antlerless deer permits. Only winners will
                              be notified by the USFS. Postcards sent to TPWD Austin
                              Headquarters will not be forwarded.
                              For information on how to apply online, go to:
                              www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recreation/hunting.shtml.

Comment

Hey Trent!! havent seen you in a while.

i might make a sunday afternoon trip if i can walk AND not have a heat stroke.

Comment

Working...
                                X