Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen a rattler yet since 2007
    Last edited by hrdwrkncwby76; 09-20-2011, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
      Another thing I learned about Bears is they really like standing corn, I had a farmer let me hunt up by Warroad and the bears were laying down the corn like nobodies business. I set up in the middle of the field by an old house foundation and you could see the corn moving out in the distance as they plowed it down while eating.

This could be good as we have corn surrounding our property...and they are not harvesting until late November

Comment

Brad I have seen and killed a lot of rattlers on fort hood. That and copper heads I thank are the worse around here.

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
          Have you ever hunted Greenbriar? I have an opportunity at a lease there for $300 a year...which includes Family and year round access to both hunting and fishing. PM me if ya want.
          Never hunted there, I had a mountain in my backyard with access to close to 5,000 acres to hunt. Beautiful area though, we did a family vacation there a few years ago. Recommend white water rafting there.

Comment

Originally posted by docjames View Post
            Hi everyone, I've never hunted Fort Hood so I wanted to ask if anyone had any tips or advise to hunting here. Also I've heard of a lot of snakes being out there is this true?
            best advice is get off the beaten path back in the thick of it

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
              best advice is get off the beaten path back in the thick of it
              And be careful when you flip over an old piece of plywood especially this time of the year. A lot of us are out there doing last minute set-ups just rember to make some noise if that wood has been on the ground for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticbudda View Post
                Never hunted there, I had a mountain in my backyard with access to close to 5,000 acres to hunt. Beautiful area though, we did a family vacation there a few years ago. Recommend white water rafting there.

Will be a 300 mile trip if I decide to do it

Comment

Seen the smoke coming from Ft. Hood today on the way home from work. Anybody got any info on which area or areas are burning now. We sureneed the rain bad. Reading yesterday we need 20 inches over the next six months to bring us out of the drought. Praying it happens. Found a real nice skull and skeleton of a buck on Sunday. A one thirty class buck still had a little velvet ont he antlers, and wandered what did him in. Lack of water,lack of food,don't know. Teeth were real worn down so I am guessing he was 7 years old plus. Real shame hate to see a good buck go down that way..

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
                    Will be a 300 mile trip if I decide to do it

It will be a beautiful, but a long trip. Sometimes I wish they would straighten the roads in WV to make navigation a bit easier, but then again, it is WV. Some things will never change.

Comment

Originally posted by popparoach View Post
                      Seen the smoke coming from Ft. Hood today on the way home from work. Anybody got any info on which area or areas are burning now. We sureneed the rain bad. Reading yesterday we need 20 inches over the next six months to bring us out of the drought. Praying it happens. Found a real nice skull and skeleton of a buck on Sunday. A one thirty class buck still had a little velvet ont he antlers, and wandered what did him in. Lack of water,lack of food,don't know. Teeth were real worn down so I am guessing he was 7 years old plus. Real shame hate to see a good buck go down that way..
                      Looked to be 89-90 from the sportsmans center

Comment

Originally posted by popparoach View Post
                        I was coming down East Range Road from NFH and when I started down that big hill right before Taylor Valley Road, that big hill (mountain for me) to the right was on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
                          I was coming down East Range Road from NFH and when I started down that big hill right before Taylor Valley Road, that big hill (mountain for me) to the right was on fire.
                          We need rain bad. I will tell you this if my hunters have a low sitting truck they will park it on the road and walk in because we dont need those cats catching those tall dry weeds on fire. My truck is barely clearing them. thegood part with all of the super roads they have been making they have just about made a new road to all of my stands.

Comment

I was in an area yesterday and it looked like a large vehicle had drove right through some thick stuff. I thought that was wierd and I was ****** because I was thinking someone else had been close to my set-up so I decided to walk through the spot that was mowed down and check it out. However, I noticed right away that noone had been there. I guess it has been so dry that all of the vegetation is just dying and you can see through spots that used to be very thick. Very unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
                              We need rain bad. I will tell you this if my hunters have a low sitting truck they will park it on the road and walk in because we dont need those cats catching those tall dry weeds on fire. My truck is barely clearing them. thegood part with all of the super roads they have been making they have just about made a new road to all of my stands.
                              That has always bothered me, even when it's a relatively wet year. I'm always a little careful where I park. Don't think it's an issue with my diesel powered jeep because I think the skid plates have everything isolated. Not sure and ain't crawing under to find out, so just park in the dirt. May have to walk farther than I'd like, but makes my cardiologist happy.

Comment

I have asked once before so I guess it's time again.
                                Has any one heard. What the quotas are for this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X