Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FtHoodBowHunter View Post
    This looks like the place I need to be. Got some questions about piggies on fort hood. I am in a area that is suppost to be good for hogs, but I don't know what I am looking for. I have never hunted hogs before. Can anyone give me some advice?
    I don't know what area you are in, but it really doesn't matter that much. Piggies are piggies.

If we've had a rain get out and look for tracks, they tend to take the same route daily. In the fall look under the oak trees. If there's pigs in the area they'll have it all tore up from rooting after the acorns. Deer will be in there also, but won't tear the area up like the pigs do.

You don't need to have a feeder running 24/7. I've had enough camera pictures to know that you put out corn today and the beasties will be there tomorrow or before. Put out sour corn and it may be as little as a couple hours depending. Patience my son, patience.

Be prepared to hunt at night. Have lights for both your feeder area and your bow. Mostly your feeder area. Most times that is sufficient. Most pig hunting, in my experience, is at night. Late evening and early morning, in that order, are second and third best. It isn't as easy as many folks think. IMO pigs are a much tougher hunt than deer. They have a much better sense of smell and are smarter. They can be patterned with no problem. Defeating their sense of smell is the only major problem. You need to be well upwind or elevated. I've been busted more than once a 10 foot tree stand. Like most things you need to spend your time and learn from your mistakes.

As for being in an area that supposed to be good for hogs. Well, it might be that maybe it was and the trapper got there first. You've just got to put in your time. Not the answer you were probably looking for, but time in the woods equals success no matter what your hunting. Basically, a person just needs to spend time in the woods. Don't ever forget they are probably the smartest animal in the woods. Yep, even smarter than us.
    Last edited by EdO; 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
      Ben saw your name on the Nanza list.
      Have you joined a Team?
      This is my 2nd year with Team Rib
      John, What the dickens is Nanza? Just curious. If I don't need to know, I don't need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
        Have any luck? I miss them piggies
        James, Who's taking over as the 36 chief guide? Kind of curious, been thinking of maybe applying for an assistants position. Might do it if the personalities mesh.

Comment

John,
          No I don't have ateam yet and honestly being my first year I kinda want to just kick around and meet people. I may not be able to stay long as my uncle who is a retired Col is very ill and well we are just waiting for the call. He lives in the area so I really don't want to commit to anything being that I may get called away. Maybe next year I'll get with a team.

EDO,
          Nanza is short for the upcomming Bownanza in College Station on 10 March.

Comment

Ed Nanza is a place to eat some great food and do a heck of a lot of drinking.

last year I had some of the best axis deer I have ever had, some awesome gator, everytime I turned around my daughter had more crawdads in her hand she loved eating them so much. there is fish, peppers, ribs, bloody marys, big pot of beans, taquatos, gorditas, pull wild pork, all kinds of sweets, cabbage, and there is so much more that I was about to explode last year.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, so I seen this guided hog hunt the 18th-20th. Thinking about doing it. What weapons can you use for the hunt? I have a shotgun, and bow.

Comment

Originally posted by BenBen View Post
                John,
                No I don't have ateam yet and honestly being my first year I kinda want to just kick around and meet people. I may not be able to stay long as my uncle who is a retired Col is very ill and well we are just waiting for the call. He lives in the area so I really don't want to commit to anything being that I may get called away. Maybe next year I'll get with a team.

EDO,

Ben you will find me around the ribs with a beer in my hand.
                Attached Files

Comment

Not sure Ed..I had Area 35 and my buddy Lee Shanklin took over it. Judy, Matt, or Phillip will know..been in PA too long to remember names in 36

Originally posted by EdO View Post
                  James, Who's taking over as the 36 chief guide? Kind of curious, been thinking of maybe applying for an assistants position. Might do it if the personalities mesh.

Comment

John,

EDO,
                    Ed Nanza is a place to eat some great food and do a heck of a lot of drinking.

last year I had some of the best axis deer I have ever had, some awesome gator, everytime I turned around my daughter had more crawdads in her hand she loved eating them so much. there is fish, peppers, ribs, bloody marys, big pot of beans, taquatos, gorditas, pull wild pork, all kinds of sweets, cabbage, and there is so much more that I was about to explode last year.
                    Ben you will find me around the ribs with a beer in my hand.
                    I always thought it was an archery competition. If you just eat & drink, why do you need teams?

Also, what happened to Matt? Haven't seen him on here in a while.

Comment

Matt has been working his tail off and spending time with his family. You can catch him at the SC most days.

Comment

[quote=BowTechGuardian;4865956]I always thought it was an archery competition. If you just eat & drink, why do you need teams?
                        lance The Teams help keep the cost down and the team members help with the work. Nanza is free but it takes money to get all of the food. So you join a team and volunteer to bring what you can for that TEAM. also we make team shirts and sell them a little more than they cost to make so that money goes to the purchase of the meat.

I have joined Team Rib the past 2 years lastyear we did 72 racks of baby back ribs. and the plan is to do 72 racks again this year. the average cost per rack is aout 3-4 dollars you do the math. I am bring Conny's Bar-B-Q sauce.

I guarantee if you go you will not go hungry and your youngins will have a blast.

Comment

Matt has been working his tail off and spending time with his family. You can catch him at the SC most days.
                          [quote=Walkin STX Hank;4866565]
                          Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
                          I always thought it was an archery competition. If you just eat & drink, why do you need teams?
                          lance The Teams help keep the cost down and the team members help with the work. Nanza is free but it takes money to get all of the food. So you join a team and volunteer to bring what you can for that TEAM. also we make team shirts and sell them a little more than they cost to make so that money goes to the purchase of the meat.

I have joined Team Rib the past 2 years lastyear we did 72 racks of baby back ribs. and the plan is to do 72 racks again this year. the average cost per rack is aout 3-4 dollars you do the math. I am bring Conny's Bar-B-Q sauce.

I guarantee if you go you will not go hungry and your youngins will have a blast.
                          Thanks. That is a lot of ribs. And with all those teams cooking it has got to be great.

Comment

Had a blast last weekend 20 sits 1 dog but meet some great folks, got laughed at cause hunted with bow, I just told them I like them close.

Ben got word on a lease in NM, and one an hour away, gonna hit both on Sunday if I can, let ya know about both. Soon to be in NM, I think.

Work is steady but I get a day off every now and again, will be back home next Friday, got a bunch of birthdays and an anniversary to take care of.

Comment

Anyone got any tips on attracting hogs? I have a feeder up, and have put out sour corn 2 times. haven't had a single hog on my camera. nothing but cows, deer, rabbits, and coons. I have had the feeder out for a month now. What about corn soaked in diesel?

Comment

What are are you in. Some places don't hold hogs long, if u got water you will have hogs, unless u ran them off with your sour corn LOL.104: 105 or 31, find water.

Comment

Working...
                                X