Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
    Gl to you sir. I myself and family will be on the beach this weekend trying to put greenbacks in the bank. First bow season opener i have missed. But that land based shark fishing is addictive.
    Good luck at sharkathon!!

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
      Gl to you sir. I myself and family will be on the beach this weekend trying to put greenbacks in the bank. First bow season opener i have missed. But that land based shark fishing is addictive.
      You'll get over it Matt. It's all hunting if you really think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
        You'll get over it Matt. It's all hunting if you really think about it.
        Yes sir sure is

Comment

You got to look at what you get when hunting on public land. We have a lot of open land thousands and thousands of acres, Some areas are over populated with deer and others don't have but a few. We also have hundreds of hunters trying to hunt, a lot of whom are just getting into the "sport" (for me life style). To me I get a lot of satisfaction when I can help another hunter get on and kill a deer or just give some input to help with shooting/hunting techniques. I spent a lot of time and money on my sets and really try to be one of the first to set up in areas so I am not intruding on others. Of course I will eventually walk by someone's set up, it is impossible especially when the seasons change and deer habits change sometimes they just stop going to where they were the rest of the year, so you got to make changes. I have all my equipment tagged and have my number on the tags. I have had people call me and say that I set up on top of them, which in most cases I was there first, that being said because we are on public land there is nothing I can do if someone sets up on top of me. I think that being hunters/sportsman we have a unwritten code that all should live by, pass on what knowledge you can, take time to practice and be proficient in the equipment you are hunting with, take ethical and clean shots, leave others sets alone and if you have questions try to contact the person, if you like an area but someone is already set up there set up atleast 100yds away, read the regulations and follow them, (it's not always easy to be 100% within regs if you do not read the updated versions) I had an incident a few years back on hood. And there are a few others but you get the jist. I have also had people call and ask to sit my spots which I really don't have a problem with in most cases, just leave it as is and if its one of my hang on stands have fun climbing in!!! I just don't see why people get all crazy when it comes to hunting public land, it is not your property so if someone happens across your set most of the time they mean no harm. We should be working together to help make the experience for each other a better one and, helping each other when the need arises. Also the thievery that happens on post is crazy to me. Most of us are avid hunters and have some affiliation with the military, I don't understand why it happens at all, some peoples morals are out of whack I guess. End of rant.....

Comment

I have been meaning to post this, I have a set up in an area I had planned to put a ground blind at, while clearing out a spot for the GB I found a newer looking tripod back in the trees and brush. It appears to have been there a few years and I know no one was hunting it since at least 2010 being the area has been closed since 2011. I decided to clear it out and use it as my hunting spot. I am not trying to claim the stand or take it just figured that if it was still up there and completely over grown with brush that the owner forgot about it, left Ft. hood without it, or something else. I have a feeder set up in that spot as well with my info on the feeder. If someone on here is the owner or knows the owner contact me. I will either move my set or help you take it down and put my blind up in its place, or hunt it if you don't have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MatthewChris View Post
              You got to look at what you get when hunting on public land. We have a lot of open land thousands and thousands of acres, Some areas are over populated with deer and others don't have but a few. We also have hundreds of hunters trying to hunt, a lot of whom are just getting into the "sport" (for me life style). To me I get a lot of satisfaction when I can help another hunter get on and kill a deer or just give some input to help with shooting/hunting techniques. I spent a lot of time and money on my sets and really try to be one of the first to set up in areas so I am not intruding on others. Of course I will eventually walk by someone's set up, it is impossible especially when the seasons change and deer habits change sometimes they just stop going to where they were the rest of the year, so you got to make changes. I have all my equipment tagged and have my number on the tags. I have had people call me and say that I set up on top of them, which in most cases I was there first, that being said because we are on public land there is nothing I can do if someone sets up on top of me. I think that being hunters/sportsman we have a unwritten code that all should live by, pass on what knowledge you can, take time to practice and be proficient in the equipment you are hunting with, take ethical and clean shots, leave others sets alone and if you have questions try to contact the person, if you like an area but someone is already set up there set up atleast 100yds away, read the regulations and follow them, (it's not always easy to be 100% within regs if you do not read the updated versions) I had an incident a few years back on hood. And there are a few others but you get the jist. I have also had people call and ask to sit my spots which I really don't have a problem with in most cases, just leave it as is and if its one of my hang on stands have fun climbing in!!! I just don't see why people get all crazy when it comes to hunting public land, it is not your property so if someone happens across your set most of the time they mean no harm. We should be working together to help make the experience for each other a better one and, helping each other when the need arises. Also the thievery that happens on post is crazy to me. Most of us are avid hunters and have some affiliation with the military, I don't understand why it happens at all, some peoples morals are out of whack I guess. End of rant.....

I went to one of my best spots yesterday afternoon to corn. I have never seen anyone even close to this spot. Well, yesterday as I was leaving a guy drove in there with a new stand and a bag of corn. We talked a little and let each other know where we were hunting and i told him I would stay out of his area and he said the same. We both have distinctive trucks so we will know when each other is in there. So far so good. I wish noone else was there but like you said it is public hunting. Good luck to everyone that gets signed in on Friday afternoon and GOD Bless!

Comment

Anyone know why west fort hood TA's are closed this week? I'm assuming they are doing a deer count, I'm hoping they are open for Saturday!

Comment

I can only hunt sunday so can I log in fri or do I have to wait till sat to log in for sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by DathanGarfield View Post
                    Anyone know why west fort hood TA's are closed this week? I'm assuming they are doing a deer count, I'm hoping they are open for Saturday!

Bike race!!

Comment

This weeks land release

Comment

^^^ Appreciate the info!
                        Last edited by Slingin'_Carbon; 09-24-2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DathanGarfield View Post
                          Originally posted by greenshovel View Post
                          Bike race!!
                          Additional info from Ms. Judy at SC. I wanted in NW region also but you will have to be in before 0600 and cannot come out until after dark both Sat & Sun.

Due to the Texas Bike Race this weekend some areas are closed.
                          Road Closures:
                          West Range Road will be closed.
                          Georgetown Road will be closed except for a few miles North of Copperas
                          Cove.
                          Elijah Road will be closed except for West of Antelope.
                          No one will be allowed to cross Georgetown, West Range or Elijah during
                          setup & race times 0600-1800.

Comment

Fort Hood

Also the deer quota will be released late Friday morning. If I get it form Phill I'll post it here for all to see.
                            Last edited by greenshovel; 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I can only hunt sunday so can I log in fri or do I have to wait till sat to log in for sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by SapperTitan View Post

Sapper - you should be able to still dial in on Friday for Sunday it will ask you for the day you want to sign in for select the dates for Sunday 09/28

Essayons!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X