No announcement yet.

Lbj Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as you guys take care of the place and make sure other hunters don't abuse it your freedom to hunt out there should be safe. I've never heard of a public land being closed due to overharvest of game because public land is the hardest hunting on earth and 90% of hunters will go home empty handed anyway. However land has been closed or changed to type III land due to abuse, thats exactly what happened to gus engling and richland creek 7 years ago. The locals poached and trashed the place up until TPW got sick enough of it to make it a draw only area.

Comment

You know AGGIE I was thinking the same thing as I was driving in this morning. The area I camp at is where a lot of horse riders camp and this place is a mess. In this area there is an old mattress, can food, pans, trash bags full of trash, etc. I am willing to get a group together and clean the area up but I don't think we should involve some organization that might do more harm than good. I think we as hunters are mature enough to go out there and do our part helping out, we do not need LSBA to make our presences known. Once we start improving the camp site areas the rangers will pass the word along to others that the "HUNTERS" came in and cleaned the place up. (That is weight enough)

All we would have to do is ask them if we pick and bag the trash up, if they would come in and haul it out. (hard to find some where to dispose of the trash) Then we could plan a Saturday (off season) and work our way from Cottonwood Lake to Tadra Point cleaning as we go along. Then we can hit other camping areas (unit 15) and do the same.

But I feel ( my own opinion) that we will not get much of a buy in from the hunters as most human's think that it is not their trash so why pick it up. I try and do my part every time I am out there, I pick my trash up and any trash that is in the camping area. (don't want anyone to think it was my trash from people prior to me camping there)

Anyways, I am with you all if you want to get something going. But let's do it as a group of hunters and not bring in any outside organizations.

Comment

Ok the list as I see it right now to help is:

aggie2000tx- Toby Lawrence
        PSEBrian
        Picahair
        Buck-a-Do

If you are willing to help please add your name to the list.

Comment

You missed me Toby. Put me in it.

Dave in Denton

Comment

PSEBrian
            Picahair
            Buck-a-Do
            Buckfever-Dave

Comment

I have two kids in diapers but I will help out when I can!!!

Comment

I am in for it. Just give me a date. Also, I think recruiting a larger aroganization such as the LSBA could be beneficial. They just had the drive to get to 1000+ members, and that is a lot of bodies. Either way it works out, I am still in it for the duration.

Comment

Aggie,add Tarrantcodoe74 to your list,i know she will help out when i do and when we have the boys we could bring them.because after all there the ones we're trying to protect this land for....Brian

Comment

PSEBrian-Brian
                    Tarantcodoe74-Rhonda
                    Picahair
                    Buck-a-Do
                    Buckfever-Dave
                    Bowhuntntxn-Glenn

Comment

Trash pickup

Call the Forest Service and ask to be signed up on a volunteer agreement as a group. They'll probably give you the trash bags and a big thanks for your help.

Comment

Sorry about the idiot comment, not to stereotype but I have had some very bad experiences with gun hunters on public land. I know there are responsible ethical gun hunters out there, probably the majority of them are, but public FREE hunting land seems to attract the worst individuals.
                        Last edited by boss bowman; 11-16-2006, 08:20 PM.

Comment

PSEBrian-Brian
                          Tarantcodoe74-Rhonda
                          Picahair
                          Buck-a-Do
                          Buckfever-Dave
                          Bowhuntntxn-Glenn

This is not a very good showing considering the amount of people on this board that hunt out there. This is exactly what I was talking about in an earlier post on this thread. We have people that come on here and want to change the world then when you ask for some help to hopefully improve the light that is shined on hunters they do not step up to the plate.

Comment

aggie that is what I said earlier also, the mind set of most people is "that aint my trash why should I pick it up". Heck I know I will be there with bells on, or maybe my camo who knows it could be my BVD's and flip flops. I am for starting at Cottonwood (first camp site after Cottonwood Lake) and going towards Tadra and around the loop. I know there is a lot of trash around the loop as I saw a few campsites that tossed trash in the bushes.

Brian, I will be there before sun up, will hunt for a few hours, drag my deer out and come visit,(I am optomistic)

Comment

Its not about it being someone elses trash. It's about letting the powers that be know that the hunters are a good thing for the grasslands. I think the list is big enough for a Sat. after deer season. It could be the Post Season Clean Up. As long as it's a group it will be recognized.

Comment

Volunteers

I can guarantee the Forest Service will take notice and appreciate any help. Local groups help the FS all the time. Horseback groups, bird dog clubs, boy scouts, Audubon Society etc..

Someone needs to take the lead and contact them with your proposal to have a trash pickup day after deer season. The more contact a group has, the more influence.

Comment

Working...
                                X