No announcement yet.

Lbj Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish they would get rid of the doe permits being required. I have talked to at least 4 different people that got drawn and they are not even going to use them. If they do keep the doe permits I think they should be transferrable to one individual to another. It sucks that my season is over out there just because I did not get a doe permit.

Comment

I agree with that. Don't seem right that if you didn't get drawn, and you weren't camped in the "MAGIC" camp site, you are SOL. There has got to be a better way. A check station would be nice, that way they could more accurately monitor the entire harvest for herd improvement. But then again that would depend on honest hunters following the rules!!

Comment

I have taken deer there with shotgun as well as bow and I don't have a problem with either. Nevertheless, I feel that there could be some consensus on antler restrictions that would apease the meat hunters as well as those who would like to see there kids or themselves have the chance to take a decent trophy. Not everyone can afford a lease and lake Lavon doesn't have a deer within 15 miles. If it did some local redneck would kill it from the road. For a state the size of Texas local public hunting that actually have deer is very limited. As I said before if you are only interested in the meat or just killing something you can take a doe. If we can get the grasslands to become more liberal with their doe permits would antler restrictions be more palpable?

Comment

I would resolutely oppose adding any more "restrictions", and I would tirelessly lobby any and all of the grasslands officials that I know, not to introduce antler restrictions or bow hunting only areas to LBJ. Grasslands hunters are regulated just fine as it is. If the Fish and Game people on their own descided to apply more regulations that is fine. We would have to live with it. But to open the Pansdoras box, and invite more oversight when it is not needed makes no sense. These are smart people working out there. They are biologists people. If they thought that it needed antler restrictions, or a bowhunting only area, they would have already applied those ideas as regulations.

You people sound like an H.O.A. That is a Homeowners Association for those that do not know. They tell you what to do with your own property, and how to do it. Well in this case, the "committee" mentioned above would be making suggestions to the Forest service, imposing their agenda on me and my rights as a hunter.

Be careful what you wish for.

Next thing you know we will be having to go through the inconvience of check in stations, or paying for our campsites, or told how many vehicles can be in camp, or what days we can hunt because the Grasslands are closed.

Be warned. If you **** off the horse riding people, you will rue the day. The TADRA riders actually spend time and money to build and maintain the trails which we use. We do not. They are politically tied to the forest service.

Try telling them that they cannot use an area because it is "bowhunting only". It will be on like Donky Kong. You have no idea as to the power of THEIR lobbing ability. They would LOVE to see no hunting at all and make the whole place a "wildlife preserve". Do not make waves. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. We have coexisted for a long time.

Leave well enough alone, and just enjoy the blessing that we have in the Grasslands as it is.

We have been hunting out there for the past 5 years with no problems. Don't create any.

Dave in Denton

Comment

I do understand the benefits of the antler restrictions. In the case of the grasslands though, there is no halfway about it. They would have to make it TypeII or heavily regulate it. The grasslands are way too open, with many private landowners using it as their own property. We would lose what we have, or get thrown into a draw to hunt situation.

I just dont think what we would have to go through would justify the end results. That being getting bigger horned deer so people can raise the prices on leases close by, and or making it harder to get those big bucks.

We have a FREE gift guys, and I just think that we should just enjoy it instead of messing with it. I have already talked with the Rangers, and it is just a matter of time and pressure form the horse riders before it is turned into a Type II anyway. Closing it to open hunting would not be out of the question either. They could more than control it by turniong it into a public draw hunt.

It would be a win/win for the Forest Service to promote hiking, boating, camping, jogging, walking, and bird watching without the dangers or distractions of hunters.

Be careful for what you wish for. It has happpened to other areas.

I look forward to sharing a fire with you all.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Look guys most of the time hunters are a thorn in public land officials back side. We have to ask ourselves a question how much money do we as hunters out at the Grasslands put into the Grasslands? I can promise you that the horse riders put money into it maintaining trails and things like that. I say if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Antler restrictions on Grasslands would be to hard to enforce because of how fragmented the units are. I know alot of leases were the rifle hunter and the bow hunter co-exist and they do not have a problem with it. I do not see the problem with the way that it is. If you want to fight for something fight to get rid of the doe permits it is a more likely win than getting a bow only area or antler restrictions. If we cause too many waves then we could see hunting out of the Grasslands disappear all together.

Comment

Couldn't have put it any better Aggie and Dave. You see it the way most hunters would see it with out their blinders on. I agree that the horse people do pour more money into the grasslands as do we hunters. Even the head ranger at Decatur is all about the horse riders as he is one himself. I see us hunters going before they do and see it Type II faster than antler restrictions, but why get away from doe permits. I know some are sore since they did not get one but this is the first one I got in the past 5 years. I was never bitter when everyone else got one but happy for them. Since the people that received one will not be using theirs, then I say they are missing out on a chance of doing good for the grasslands as it benefits the herd taking out what the biologist say needs to be taken. I will do my part taking a doe as I feel I will be helping the herd and not hurting it.

I kinda hope it goes TypeII as you will also , the deer do seem to populate better. I hated when they first introduced Type II to East Texas but soon love reaping the benefits of it. I met new friends and shared a lot of camp fires with different people, heard a lot of tales and in general liked it better. In fact I would like for it to turn to Type II next season, I am ready to pay my $50.00 for the permit.

Comment

I think your making a lot of assumptions. First of all I don't believe that any of us care whether there are horses out there. Second, this is not state land it is federal land and very unlikely to go type II. How many of the National Forests are type II?As far as what weapon you use other than centerfire rifles I don't think it makes much difference(for safety). Many counties have incorporated antler restrictions and it hasn't change the status quo other than improve the quality of the deer herd. It is a proven fact. This may all be for not because I believe the TDWP will change Wise county to an antler restricted county as well as others. You guys are totally right in the fact that we are really blessed to have a place in Texas to hunt like the grasslands. Where private ground is so expensive to come by. Most guys I know from other states don't pay a dime to hunt. They help out the farmers with some of the chores and maybe take them a ham for Xmas. Texas hunting is so commercial the average person is unable to afford to carry on our heritage. We probably should be lobbying for more public ground like LBJ. That way maybe all of our children will get to experience the love we have for the outdoors.

Comment

Picahair, It is not about whether there are horses or horse riders out there. It is about making areas "bowhunting only", that would cut off their areas to ride in. That is what would hack them off. The riders are tied in to the Forest service in Decatur.

I have already been told by the Rangers that it is up for consideration every year for turning LBJ into Type II. Never heard fo a Fedaeral Land being made into a Type II? Try going out about 150 miles to the East. It is called the Caddo Grasslands. The sister site to the LBJ Grasslands.

Bob, myself, and others on here have been hunting the Grasslands for years. I personally miss it being under the radar.

As i was told by a LBJ Ranger; "Nothing is a problem out here until it becomes a problem." I.E. Keep it under the radar.

If TPW make all of Wise County a "antler restriction" county, ok so be it. Just don't ask LBJ to do it alone.

I assume nothing. Just going off of what I hear said.

Dave in Denton

Comment

Dave not only Caddo is type II so are the National Forests in East Texas. I will go for Type II in the grasslands and "Wise County" having antler restrictions, but as you said just don't make public land restricted from what I can shoot.

Comment

Buck, I agree with you that all hunters should be able to hunt with their weapon of choice. I would love to have a bowhunting only area but thats not what I am proposing. And I believe the only way that LBJ will have antler restrictions is if the whole county goes. They are going to have all TDWP laws observed. Nevertheless, I am in favor of the commision imposing regulations on management. I can still remember in Kansas when there weren't any deer. If we don't have rules and enforcement we will see the return of those days. If we can't agree on what degree those rules should be imposed maybe we can all agree for a call for more public land like LBJ. As I said in this tread in the begining, I passed a 25 yd shot on a small 8pt so I guess until TDWP imposes antler restrictions it will be up to each individual to practice his own style of management and hunting ethics. Good luck hunting there this year and stay safe.

Comment

The deer in my avatar is an 8pt I took at LBJ 2 yrs ago. He had a 16 inch spread.

Comment

from what I remember, all of Sam Houston is Type II, not sure about Angelina, but Alabama Creek in Davy Crockett is the only area that is Type II.

Comment

Type II is not bad hunting at all. It will cost you some more money to get a Type II permit that is all. I have hunted Type II in East Texas and I enjoyed myself.

Comment

OK after reading Bucks and Dave's and Aggies stories, i too ,have to agree if it aint broke dont fix it and i dont want to see Type II at LBJ.So i vote for leave it alone and lets enjoy it and try to keep it for future generations...Ronda and i will be up there this weekend looking to get our first at LBJ and our first of the season,So good luck to everyone going out there this weekend,not sure where we'll be camping maybe unit 31 or unit 15.havent decided yet,but i hope to run into some fellow TBHer's up there...Brian
                                Last edited by PSEBrian; 11-13-2006, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X