Possum Kingdom Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john.308 View Post
    Man there were some big deer on that place. I had a couple of run ins with two or three of them. I killed some deer but never got an arrow in a big one. I have some good trail cam pics of a real nice deer on there. I got a letter in the mail from the Brazos River Authority. That place was up for bid this summer. I thought about bidding on it but keeping up with two leases is too much for me. I don't miss those cedar flies biting me. Did you ever hunt in the dump behind camp?
    We used to play around at night shooting possums and coons at the dump.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
      Anybody hunted Possum Kingdom? My 12 year old nephew got drawn for the Antlerless/Spike hunt and was wondering if any one had been on a hunt there. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
      Have fun! my father in law (you will meet him) is the superindendant over the State Park where you will be hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
        Possum Kingdom State Park

It says by assigned blind....wondering where/what that might be...
        the blinds are up "on the hill", not down in the campground areas

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
          the blinds are up "on the hill", not down in the campground areas
          Thanks! Getting ready to head to South Hills this weekend - should be great weather too!

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
            Have fun! my father in law (you will meet him) is the superindendant over the State Park where you will be hunting
            tell your father in law to set me and my boy in the best blind!

Comment

Less than a month away, and I think my boy is ready. He's been to the range a few times, and can hit pretty close to where he wants. but that is off of sandbags while being able to take his time. I've been going over saftey stuff, and shot placements. looking at lots of pictures of deer in a lot of different situations asking him "are you going to shoot this one? If so, where do you put your cross hairs, if not, why?" kids absorb that stuff like a sponge. He is getting pretty excited, and also a little nervous too, but he doesn't want to admit that. I am trying to make it as stress free for him, and even if he doesn't shoot something i want him to have fun, and learn from it. It's gonna be a good time, for sure.

Comment

Tomorrow!!

Comment

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I've order a BogGear tripod and a "BOGgear BOG-POD® Xtreme Shooting Rest". I think that should help steady the shooting a whole bunch.

Comment

Well we went on our hunt. There were 4 youth, 2 peeps didn't show up. We had an orientation @ 1200 and drew for which blind we get. We got #3. The guy said that was historically one of the most productive blinds, and one of the youths there was there last year and shot a doe and pig out of that blind. That was pretty encouraging. They said they were way over populated, and were hoping we would all shoot our 2 deers, plus as many hogs and coyotes as we have bullets for. He almost guaranteed us to see does. THey took us to our blinds at 2pm and picked us up at dark. then the next morning took us at 6, picked us up at 10, then in the afternoon at 2pm again.
                    I dont know if all the blinds were the same, but ours was made out of wood, enough room for 2 peeps to sit comfy in, it had a padded shooting rail too. they said all the blinds had that. There should be a lot of does for your group to shoot, because no one from our group saw a doe. Everyone saw bucks. me and my son saw a 8 pt the first hunt. In the morning hunt, we saw a buck just before sun up, and i couldn't count the points but it was a 6 or 8 pt. The next evening hunt, we saw a 4 pt. he hung out eating corn for about an hour by himself, then a nice wide 8 pt. came out and joined him. That was pretty cool. The two deer didn't really fight, but they were comparing antlers and stuff sizing each other up, the little one even tried to hump the big one. that was cool to watch. they hung out for about 30 mins together, then walked off.

one of the peeps in our youth shot a pig, we followed blood for about an hour last night but didn't find it. they were going to go back and try again this morning.

they said they have been feeding corn for about a month, and every day the corn is gone from the day before. So the deer know it is there.

We had wacky weather, 80 degrees the first hunt, then yesterday it was s30's in the morn, and 50's for the high. plus a full moon. I don't know what to blame, but they said this is the first time ever that no one saw a single doe, and everyone saw bucks

Comment

oh, and if you are planning on camping, there is a burn ban, so only charcoal fires allowed. no wood fires. Or at least that was the case this week, if it doesnt rain between now and next week, it will probably be in effect then too

Comment

I was at the lease all weekend. I never heard a rifle shot. Did not see a deer from Sunday thru Wednesday morning. Only had one deer picture from Monday night during the eclipse. Cold weather should help. The park feeding corn may explain why none of the feeders that are near the park boundary are seeing deer.

Comment

Thanks for the input - hopefully it will be better next week. At least it's supposed to be cooler.

Comment

so how did your hunt go?
                            we were on our way to go standby for that hunt, and my son started feeling sick so we went back home.

Comment

We were very lucky. Andy got a spike (1.5 yrs old) 15 minutes after getting settled into the stand the first afternoon and a doe (2.5 yrs old) 15 minutes before dark on the second day. There were two other spikes killed the first afternoon, but we were the only ones to even see a doe. I'll post some pictures in a few days when I get them off the camera. He was a very happy hunter!!!

Comment

That is awesome. Congrats to him.
                                We were on our way there to go standby, and about half way there, my lil guy said he wasn't feeling good, so i pulled over and he barfed all over the place. We turned around and went home.

What blind did you hunt out of? We were in no. 3

Comment

Working...
                                X