Possum Kingdom Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
    I hunted there on a youth hunt like six years ago, the first year they offered hunts. I shot my first two deer on that hunt! One was a decent eight pointer and the other was a doe. The blind we were in was just a 4X6 plywood ground blind, and they drive you to the blinds and pick you up. The ranger even showed me how to gut the deer!

When I was there, they put everyone out in remote areas of the park, away from the campgrounds. The deer in the campgrounds would literally walk up to your campfire and sniff around. The deer away from the campgrounds were wilder, but if you didn't shoot a deer by Sunday morning, they took you down into the campgrounds.

You guys should have a great time!
    They offered hunts earlier than '04. I got off the bow lease that borders the park in '99 and they were already having hunts.

Oh, and good luck to ya'll Ted! It will be a good hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
      They offered hunts earlier than '04. I got off the bow lease that borders the park in '99 and they were already having hunts.

Oh, and good luck to ya'll Ted! It will be a good hunt!
      I guess they didn't offer hunts in the either sex category, I just remember seeing the "no hunts were conducted in this category last year."

Ended up being like 80% on my hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
        I guess they didn't offer hunts in the either sex category, I just remember seeing the "no hunts were conducted in this category last year."

Ended up being like 80% on my hunt!
        Not sure on categories. All I know is the traffic on the park road was pretty much non-stop all day long. Most of the time it sounded like they were just letting the kids shoot the guns. Some days it sounded like a war over there. I'm guessing they have it more under control now days. Glad your hunt was a good one!

Comment

my son got picked there too.
          this will be his first year to hunt.
          we camp there a lot and see tons of deer, so he is pretty excited.

Comment

oops this entered twice

Comment

Originally posted by ytsejam View Post
              Good luck to ya'll too! PK is a great place. I really miss hunting out there.

Comment

are you going dec 21-22?

Comment

PK Hunting

The gate across from the cattle pen is the gate to my old lease. Bowhunting only. We were always trying to get the rangers to let us hunt up in the park. It was a no go. When these youth hunts started up, the gun shots would scare the begeezus out of us. We weren't used to hearing gun shots that close to us. We would get a bullet through the trees every now and then too.
                  Did you hunt with Frank and Mike?

Comment

Originally posted by john.308 View Post
                    did you hunt with frank and mike?
                    yep.

Comment

Rek

yep.
                      Man there were some big deer on that place. I had a couple of run ins with two or three of them. I killed some deer but never got an arrow in a big one. I have some good trail cam pics of a real nice deer on there. I got a letter in the mail from the Brazos River Authority. That place was up for bid this summer. I thought about bidding on it but keeping up with two leases is too much for me. I don't miss those cedar flies biting me. Did you ever hunt in the dump behind camp?

Comment

my son killed a doe there.could have killed 3. good luck

Comment

The low percentage is more likely to less than spectacular marksmanship than not seeing deer. Even the big guys miss occasionally. Get your young one out to the range a few times. I'd get him some shooting sticks in case the blind doesn't have a ledge. We got drawn for Pat Mayse youth only this year. Probably not as good of options, but a lot more open and scouting to be done. We enjoy being in the woods.

Comment

Which hunt dates - we'll be there the 28-29th.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                              Which hunt dates - we'll be there the 28-29th.
                              we will be there dec 21-22
                              i will give you a report after we are done.

Comment

we will be there dec 21-22
                                i will give you a report after we are done.
                                Thanks! and Good Luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X