Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
    Got the blind set up this morning, glad I knocked it out early.

Nice spot... get em

Comment

Looks good! Blended in well. Good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For those that have hunted here before, any tips for avoiding other people’s areas/setups? Is the whole acreage pretty well-covered, or will putting a mile or two on the boots get you away from the crowds? Just curious how crowded it actually is with 100 permitted hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by B Littleton View Post
          For those that have hunted here before, any tips for avoiding other people’s areas/setups? Is the whole acreage pretty well-covered, or will putting a mile or two on the boots get you away from the crowds? Just curious how crowded it actually is with 100 permitted hunters.
          In order to avoid other's setups, just walk a perimeter of your candidate spot to see if you find anyone within the limits. The fields are really grown up this year, so this may take some work. At one time, everyone used to report coordinates, so the office could help by letting you know where the setups were sparsely populated. They still get hunting zone numbers, so the office may be able tell you of units that are not busy in any given year.

Things will get crowded around easily accessible areas. (like jumping the fence off DB Woods Rd or just outside of any of the parks that offer free parking) If you are willing to walk, there is lots of area. There are 1-2 reports on here of feeders being setup to close, but everyone seems to be civil and it works itself out quickly.

Based on your fitness, most of the areas are easily hiked or mountain biked from the trailhead. Getting corn in and animals out can be a challenge, but worth it.
          Last edited by howabouttheiris; 07-22-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

North side i think is less hunted, BUT it's also has way less parking, so you have to hike in a long ways unless you can find someone who will let you jump their fence, or a boat.

Disclaimer: I hunt the South and East side...I just deal with hunting by other hunters. Usually at least one other hunter within 200 yards (still see plenty of deer), no matter where you hunt.

Comment

How do we inform coe on the location of our setup? I called the office and the lady there seemed to have no idea what i was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
                How do we inform coe on the location of our setup? I called the office and the lady there seemed to have no idea what i was talking about.
                I just reply to the acceptance email. It goes directly to Brad.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Makes sense. Thanks

Comment

got my spot setup yesterday evening with a pop-up and some hand corn for now. Got a couple of questions for the veterans...

1. after getting everything setup, I realized I am about 100 yards closer to the trail than I intended. Still far enough away (130 yards as the crow flies, but realistically 250-300 yards walking because of thick brush and cliffs. wondering if this is still too close and if I run the risk of having my stuff vandalized/stolen by non-hunters.

2. regarding old setups. I hiked further back to my first choice only to find a feeder and a trashed chair. it was not marked and did not appear to have been recently placed there. I still did not setup there, but thinking maybe I should have.

3. my understanding is that we cannot quarter and pack-out animals, field dress only until the check station. is this correct? if so, I'd like some recommendations on game carts as I have about a 2.5 mile hike and >300 feet of elevation change to get to my spot.

thanks!

Comment

wondering if this is still too close and if I run the risk of having my stuff vandalized/stolen by non-hunters.
                      I am just the minimum off the trailhead and have not had any real issues. Occasionally I hear of some vandalism, but it has been every other year or so. I do occasionally get dogs off the leash, scout troops, and mountain bikers on camera, but not too bad. If you are a long way in, I suspect the only thing that would be worth stealing and packing out would be your camera, so use a cheap one or maybe a lock box is appropriate. I put a "hunting in progress" sign on the worn footpath between the trailhead and my setup during the season. Most read it and don't come in. Opinions vary as to whether telling folks there is hunting stuff there is wise or not, but it has worked for me.

2. I still did not setup there, but thinking maybe I should have.
                      There are lots of places to setup, so you have to decide if it is something that someone is going to return for.

3. my understanding is ... field dress only until the check station. is this correct?
                      This is true. They age/weight/sex all deer and give you the tag. I use a garden wagon to get corn in and typically just tie to a belt harness and drag to get an animal out.

Comment

One more...

1. Gravity feeder, hand corn, or spinner?

Comment

One more...

I'd go with spinner. Raccoons will empty a gravity feeder pretty fast.

I use a cheapo game cart, but they are loud and clumsy over rocks. Most of the time now I use a large HD backpacking backpack to carry stuff with.

Keep your wind and thermals in mind to. Most of the time early and late your thermals will be going downhill to the lake, many times opposite of your prevailing winds, depending on your set up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

All the guys that I know out there use a spinner. As mentioned by Dave, the raccoons are pretty relentless. I use a cage with a varmint buster installed to try to keep them from emptying the feeder. I feed twice daily, morning and night, about a bag of corn a week.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                              All the guys that I know out there use a spinner. As mentioned by Dave, the raccoons are pretty relentless. I use a cage with a varmint buster installed to try to keep them from emptying the feeder. I feed twice daily, morning and night, about a bag of corn a week.
                              What has worked for me is hand corning. Just my personal opinion, but the deer at Lake Georgetown are SMART. Come the second week of the season they wise up and anyone with a feeder tend to only seeing young doe and spikes. I could be wrong, but that's been my experience.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck to ya'll.

Didn't put in this year. Looking to hunt some place new.

Comment

Working...
                                X