Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
    IF the weather is cooler then maybe if not I cant sleep ( not that i ever do sleep the night b4) lol
    Long range forecast has Sunny 92 high 61 low on 10/2 and Sunny 87 high 58 low on 10/3

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
      IF the weather is cooler then maybe if not I cant sleep ( not that i ever do sleep the night b4) lol
      Like a little kid waiting on Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
        Like a little kid waiting on Christmas.
        Pretty much

Comment

I'd scout and find a few good oak trees as a backup. Loaded around the house. Had about 20 deer every day until last week waiting on feeder. This morning 5 showed up

Comment

Saw more deer this year. More fawn and does. I stopped to hunt at Georgetown, but do some bird hunts occasionally. Did encounter deer almost every time while hunting birds. Haven't seen these many deer for quite a few years. Should be a good year.

Dove hunt is skunk this year, btw.

Comment

Deer are hitting feeder hard now. Lots of does and fawns, a few bucks and spikes. Better shoot a doe early, those red oak branches are drooping with acorns and look ready to drop. Already seeing some acorns on the ground from the squirrels.

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
                Saw more deer this year. More fawn and does. I stopped to hunt at Georgetown, but do some bird hunts occasionally. Did encounter deer almost every time while hunting birds. Haven't seen these many deer for quite a few years. Should be a good year.

Dove hunt is skunk this year, btw.
                So not as many dove this year? I havnt had a chance to go yet. Friends have but no limits yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dodgeman View Post
                  So not as many dove this year? I havnt had a chance to go yet. Friends have but no limits yet.
                  Not many. I can only managed half limit total by 3 trips. Just had few local birds and they did not fly much as well. I tried Granger several times, 3 different units. Did not get many birds neither. This year, it is abnormal for me so far. However, I did see tons of doves (hundreds if not thousands) hanging at Georgetown city limit (SW Univ.). Can get a limit within 30 minutes or less if I were allowed to hunt there.

Saw 2 game wardens checking a group of hunters who hunted at a field close to SW Univ. once a time after I came back from Granger.

Comment

Could not remember the exact wording from the meeting and his presentation differs in content from the Rules and Regulations document online .... (I'll call later today if no one can confirm.)

QUESTION 1:

Do you need to 'doe in' before you take a buck?
                    or
                    Do you just need to take a mature doe to get your renewal and could shoot a buck day 1?

QUESTION 2:

What is the rule wrt spikes? A post (about 2 pages or so up from here) implies that there was a rule change on spikes for this season. Can anyone confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                      Could not remember the exact wording from the meeting and his presentation differs in content from the Rules and Regulations document online .... (I'll call later today if no one can confirm.)

QUESTION 1:

Do you need to 'doe in' before you take a buck?
                      or
                      Do you just need to take a mature doe to get your renewal and could shoot a buck day 1?

QUESTION 2:

What is the rule wrt spikes? A post (about 2 pages or so up from here) implies that there was a rule change on spikes for this season. Can anyone confirm?
                      You need a mature doe to be exempt next year.

A doe or spike will allow you to take a fork horn buck.

Spike is a spike as long as it has 1 unbranched side.

Comment

I am not even worried about a spike the cars do a good job of killing them. I am only hunting mature does and mature bucks when I hunt.

My main goal is meat in the freezer and getting back in next year to put meat back in the freezer.

Comment

Well i just pull my card and i had more deer in 3 days than i did in 3 weeks at my first spot. They are there 24/7.

really cool 6 but he's not quite legal. Can't wait for the 3rd!

Comment

Doe or spike need to be checked in before shooting a fork horn buck....at least that was the rule last year.

Comment

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
                              Doe or spike need to be checked in before shooting a fork horn buck....at least that was the rule last year.
                              Yep must be in the books before you shoot a shooter.

Comment

So are the any interesting side bets on this hunt?

Most coons? How about 8.

Comment

Working...
                                X