Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
    There is always standby at the orientation. ...thats how i got in last year.
    For standby at Lake Georgetown, do I have to take my qualifying test before the orientation?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
      For standby at Lake Georgetown, do I have to take my qualifying test before the orientation?

thanks!
      No...if you get picked for standby they give you time to get everything together. .i think we had 2 weeks last year.

Comment

We did not get in. 164-167, 168-171 was called. Funny thing there was a lady just ahead of me, but she was waiting on a text of a phone number so she told me to go ahead of her. Dang if she would have went 1st our group would be in. For the guys that are in my group the guy that drew the number said there are always no shows and those that don't qualify so he said to be there August 22nd and you will get a red ticket. After they determine how many spots opened up they will draw to fill those spots. Then if drawn you have 2 weeks to get your stuff in, any that don't will be out and a third drawing will be held. Good Luck to those that got drawn.

Comment

Im in. 2nd year for me.

Comment

Just got my email with check in time and date can't wait.

Comment

Didn't get drawn, but good luck to those who did!

Comment

Originally posted by centexhunter01 View Post
                I think your right but if a paper that is drawn is a group of 4 then 4 spots are taken. Same as groups with 2 or 3 names.
                Yep. Next year the 200 or so of us should put in as groups of 4 that'd be a little over 50 papers to draw...we'd all be in!

Comment

Ended up with a doe and spike last year... See y'all at the orientation!

I just checked the odds for Granger. Looks like since it went e-postcard there were over 1700 people that put in for 60 spots. Crazy!

Comment

Can anyone explain the proficiency test to me? I've hunted granger but never gtown.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkj1986 View Post
                      Can anyone explain the proficiency test to me? I've hunted granger but never gtown.
                      In order to hunt out there you have to pass a proficiency test. Your shooting at 3d targets, I forget the score that you need. Double G archery offers the test.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkj1986 View Post
                        You go to either double g or archery country.

20 bucks and you shoot, double g does 3d targets from 10 to 30

Dont remember the passing score but they are just making sure you are a decent shot

Its not a really big deal, pretty simple pass

Comment

Ok thank guys that answers my question. Just wasn't sure where to take the thing.

Comment

1st time hearing about this hunt and got drawn. Pretty excited as my buddy lives 8 min from the park and I am no more than 20.

Read all 56 pages, but I still have a few questions .... I could wait until orientation, but it these will affect the scouting.

1) Do you have to check in / out for every hunt? I ask as I have seen some indication back 30ish pages of possible night hog hunting from your own coordinates, and unsure how this would work... (unless night just means 'from 6am till 30 before dawn' and then '30 after dusk till gates close').

2) Can you enter / exit from places other than the parking lots of the parks? (ie can you park on the side of one of the adjacent county roads and enter from there or thru private property with permission)

3) Are the parks open for camping during the season? Is it still possible to get a spot? I tried to get a Ped. Falls spot last year and realized that hunting weeks are sold out online on the morning that they are posted on the webpage.

4) Do you need to pay park fees with every hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                              1st time hearing about this hunt and got drawn. Pretty excited as my buddy lives 8 min from the park and I am no more than 20.

Read all 56 pages, but I still have a few questions .... I could wait until orientation, but it these will affect the scouting.

1) Do you have to check in / out for every hunt? I ask as I have seen some indication back 30ish pages of possible night hog hunting from your own coordinates, and unsure how this would work... (unless night just means 'from 6am till 30 before dawn' and then '30 after dusk till gates close').

2) Can you enter / exit from places other than the parking lots of the parks? (ie can you park on the side of one of the adjacent county roads and enter from there or thru private property with permission)

3) Are the parks open for camping during the season? Is it still possible to get a spot? I tried to get a Ped. Falls spot last year and realized that hunting weeks are sold out online on the morning that they are posted on the webpage.

4) Do you need to pay park fees with every hunt?

No check needed.

There are certain places along DW Wood you cannot park. Most other places you can park.

No sure on camping issue.

You do not need to pay park fees, at least where I hunted. Not sure of other parts of park.

Comment

Like the gentleman above, this is my first time to be drawn for this hunt. Pretty excited as I live off of DB Wood road. This is also my first time to do any public hunting so I have a few questions for the guys that have done this before.
                                1. Picking a location for a stand? Since I live off DB Wood it would be great to at least be on that side of the lake. I know there are some that have been selected in the past and would prefer to keep the same spots they used in the past. Is there some sort of unofficial meeting when everyone gets together and picks sections or is it just a mad dash for your favorite spot, first come serve. I'm sure there is plenty of room for everyone just did not know if everyone wanted the same spot.
                                2. Recommendations for stands and feeders? Ground Blinds/Tree stands? Obviously you don't want anything to large as you have to carry to and from your spot. Just curious as what has or has not worked well for others.

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X