"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 10/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
    Scotts Ridge is currentl off limits to all hunting. My friend is a Precint 1 Constable on the lake and every fall several folks are cited for hunting there. As of right now it is a no go.
    Scotts ridge is closed?
    Meaning the boat ramp on the West side of the lake just north of 1097? Since when has that area been closed for hunting?
    I did not hunt out there last year but in the past i would always launch my boat out of there and just go straight across and duck hunt that whole shoreline. I have seen tons of people duck hunt it and even seen a few deer hunters walk across the pipeline that is in that area. Even talked to one of the game wardens that came up to check my liscense and ducks and he never said anything. Probably seen 5 or 6 does around there while i was in my duck boat,

Comment

Scott's Ridge is open to launch your boat, swim, bank fish, etc. You can't hunt on the land there. Waterfowling is OK on the lake in that area. This is just like the park up on 1375. We can't hunt there either however the property next to the park, facilities and boat ramp it is archery only.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
        Scotts ridge is closed?
        Meaning the boat ramp on the West side of the lake just north of 1097? Since when has that area been closed for hunting?
        I did not hunt out there last year but in the past i would always launch my boat out of there and just go straight across and duck hunt that whole shoreline. I have seen tons of people duck hunt it and even seen a few deer hunters walk across the pipeline that is in that area. Even talked to one of the game wardens that came up to check my liscense and ducks and he never said anything. Probably seen 5 or 6 does around there while i was in my duck boat,
        Straight across is fine you can hunt in there with a rifle if you desire. Just the chunk of property associated with the ramp is off limits to hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
          Straight across is fine you can hunt in there with a rifle if you desire. Just the chunk of property associated with the ramp is off limits to hunting.
          oh, ok. Gotcha now. Was thinking that ya'll were talking about that whole area in general.

I have always wanted to try to bow hunt up around there but have never made it out there to scout or hunt yet. Hopefully will get a chance to try it out this year

Comment

Lord willing, I plan on accessing the hunting portion @ the end of the creek arm by boat and walking in to bow hunt.....Going to start scouting that area next week maybe.

Comment

Anyone get out and do any scouting on Sat? Find anything good?

Comment

Originally posted by PineyWoodsBow View Post
                Lord willing, I plan on accessing the hunting portion @ the end of the creek arm by boat and walking in to bow hunt.....Going to start scouting that area next week maybe.

I have always wanted to do that, or just cross directly over. Maybe even hunt that little penisula. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                  Anyone get out and do any scouting on Sat? Find anything good?
                  I went scouting on the west side off of 1374. Saw a few deer and found some good habitat but it leads me to my next point.......

WHERE ARE THE BUCKS? I went scouting yesterday and tuesday and have seen a total of 14 deer....no bucks. Last season I saw 5 bucks and I guess about 100 does.

Do any of y'all hunt any of the super thick tall understory forest type? If so, how? I see more deer and better quality browse in logged or burned areas plus better visibility. While in one of those overgrown thickets yesterday I saw a couple of does but the understory is 25' high and very little light reaches the ground for deer heighth food.

Topics for discussion if anybody feels they know something please let me know!

Comment

that has been a question I have tried to get answered. I found aa great scrape and trail to hunt, but it is so thick right now I do not know how I would hunt it.
                    sent from my verizon wireless phone

Comment

Hopefully I'll be able to make it up there pretty soon to do some scouting. Last time I went it downpoured the whole time I was there. Is it hard to get away from the crowds during archery season?

Comment

Originally posted by leatherneck View Post
                        Hopefully I'll be able to make it up there pretty soon to do some scouting. Last time I went it downpoured the whole time I was there. Is it hard to get away from the crowds during archery season?
                        Not really that bad at all during archery season. In November it is almost impossible.

Comment

I usually avoid the first and second weekends and then I never have any trouble. But what I am finding is that the bucks are rutting about then too so I am thinking that I might head out in the back and hunt anyway's.

Comment

I was hoping to find something in archery only territory to hunt during the rut.

Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles1181 View Post
                              I was hoping to find something in archery only territory to hunt during the rut.

Eagle
                              Have you been out there yet?

Anybody seeing bucks? Anybody hunt in the gnarly thickets?

Comment

No bucks yet. I have not hunted the thick stuff yet, but I am trying to figure out a way to hunt the thick stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X