No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 10/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raj, are you hunting public this year? I will probably have only enough time to scout 1/2 the areasthat I hunt. I have picked a new spot to scout this year.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
      Raj, are you hunting public this year? I will probably have only enough time to scout 1/2 the areasthat I hunt. I have picked a new spot to scout this year.
      and................................

Comment

Originally posted by mgbuff View Post
        anyone planning on going saturday to scout
        West Side or east side? What time you planning on heading out there and coming back? I did a little scouting yesterday, saw a lot of deer on recently burned areas on the west side. The combination of the burn allowing light to the ground and all of the rain we have had has really been good for deer browse. All the deer I saw were in really good shape. I didn't see any bucks or buck sign but they have to be out there some where because all the does I saw had fawns.

Comment

I will scout on Sunday. I will be moving my daughter to college on Saturday.

Comment

i can scout on sunday if anyone is interested pm me your info

Comment

Tim, With a 1yr old and both me and my wife working i might just go all public hunting this year. Get some rest and give me a buzz if you get out there sunday. pm sent whitetail addict

Comment

bucksmasher and whitetail adict if i get to make it ill be there hopefully around daybreak and ill be on the west side

Comment

I've been wondering, why doesn't SHNF make some of the smaller tracts that are land locked to archery only?

Comment

There are neighborhoods or parks next to those tracks and they don't want bullets flying thru the air across those areas scaring people away is my guess.

Comment

They keep Scott's Ridge closed year round. That one I can't figure out.

Comment

Can you access Scotts Ridge area by boat and hunt?

Comment

No on Scott's Ridge. But find the end of the park and get back to forest lands and you should be good. I misread Huntinfools reply above. Landlocked property would require an easment to be filed by the forest service to get hunters in and out. Who wants that kind of traffic across their property? I would not.

Comment

My wife and I will be out there Sunday .

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                              No on Scott's Ridge. But find the end of the park and get back to forest lands and you should be good. I misread Huntinfools reply above. Landlocked property would require an easment to be filed by the forest service to get hunters in and out. Who wants that kind of traffic across their property? I would not.

What I am talking about is on the map there are several small tracts of land that are public hunting. However they are small and would be somewhat dangerous to rifle hunt. So I was thinking that those would be perfect to make archery only. The forest service wins because the dnager is reduced and the number of animals taken would be reduced and we would win with some archery only hunting....just a thought.

I thought Scott's Ridge was open to launch your baot? Is this not correct? I don't know about the hunting. But this would be a perfect example. Scott's Ridge is small and would be perfect for archery only.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                                What I am talking about is on the map there are several small tracts of land that are public hunting. However they are small and would be somewhat dangerous to rifle hunt. So I was thinking that those would be perfect to make archery only. The forest service wins because the dnager is reduced and the number of animals taken would be reduced and we would win with some archery only hunting....just a thought.

I thought Scott's Ridge was open to launch your baot? Is this not correct? I don't know about the hunting. But this would be a perfect example. Scott's Ridge is small and would be perfect for archery only.
                                Scotts Ridge is currentl off limits to all hunting. My friend is a Precint 1 Constable on the lake and every fall several folks are cited for hunting there. As of right now it is a no go.

Comment

Working...
                                X