No announcement yet.

Hunter Orange on Public Lands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you purchase the information for LBJ Grasslands, unless they have changed it lately, Hunter orange is not required during Archery Only Season but is required during the General Season. Like previously said, you are taking your life in you hands not wearing Orange anywhere where someone has a Gun.

Comment

I was hunting on the LBJ. grass lands one year and seting on the ground and there was a nut glassing the field with his scope YES!!! wear your ORANGE DONT BE NUMBER. I thank God he saw me when he swung his rifle at me I was wearing my orange.

Comment

This is from the National forestry website for LBJ, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, Angelina, ect:

All hunters and those accompanying them must wear daylight fluorescent orange at any time when hunting, except when hunting fur-bearing or predatory animals at night or when hunting turkey or migratory birds. A minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent orange must be visible (144 square inches on both the chest and back, and a daylight fluorescent orange cap or hat.)

sounds to me like you have to wear orange in archery season as well.
        Last edited by boliverpete; 10-07-2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

It makes me feel like a billboard wearing all that orange. But to tell the truth, I don't find that the deer mind at all. I hunt public land, and I wouldn't go without it. Just to be safe.

Comment

I wouldn't go to war without my armor, and I certainly wouldn't go to the woods without orange. I wear it to and from the pop up blind/tree stand- if you feel like you are sticking out, hide your stand better Good Luck and be safe!

Comment

I was cautioned about Davy Crocket public hunting and make sure I wear a orange vest and hat. So I went out at lunch today and bought one.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw442 View Post
                LBJ/Caddo rules state hunter orange isn't required during archery season and does not list the other gun season stipulation as in the TPWD handbook
                LBJ/Caddo is federal not state.

When I returned to Texas 5 years ago, and went back to S'ville after a long hiatus, I discovered that TPWD had caved to political correctness and let the attorneys win. Hence, the hunter orange required during the archery deer season. I don't like it any more than anyone else, but I set out to fabricate a hunting vest with "exactly" the legally required amount of hunter orange on it. And it doesn't say you cannot use "camo" hunter orange, so that's what I sewed on my vest. I have exactly 144 sq. in. front and back, and a camo orange hat that I use exclusively for S'ville and SHNF.

Hasn't seemed to have hurt me too bad yet, as I had a real nice 8 pt. bed down under my feet 2 years ago, and have taken 3 deer in the last 4 seaons with my recurve, and two does with a rifle on the Sam.

Where there's a will, there's an angry attorney...

Comment

Nothing about political correctness as you state, but all about ones safety while on public hunting lands to reduce the number of hunting accidents when a firearm may be used for a species on those properties.

Comment

if you are sitting in a brushed in pop up blind, you still need to wear it?

Comment

Originally posted by ground level View Post
                      Nothing about political correctness as you state, but all about ones safety while on public hunting lands to reduce the number of hunting accidents when a firearm may be used for a species on those properties.
                      Okay, maybe not PC, but rather, being held hostage by attorneys.

Hunter orange was around, and being used, for decades before TPWD "decided" that bowhunters needed to wear it too. And I promise you that TPWD couldn't show statistics to prove that it's necessary. They would never pass a statistical test of any sort. If anything, hunting has to be one of the safest recreational activities known to mankind.

Oh, but then I could always just claim I'm hunting migratory birds, and then I wouldn't need it. LOL!

Wake up folks. Soon enough, the attorneys (aka cockroaches) will be the only ones left.

Comment

Working...
                      X