Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunter Orange on Public Lands

Hi All,

I am new to Texas and have read that hunter orange is required for Archers hunting public land when a gun season is also open. I found this a bit strange, but rules are rules. I was just wondering if this group has any interaction with the State or if there is a state bow hunters association that actively lobbies TPWD and Legislature in support of issues important to bow hunters.

As an aside, I only hunt public land and have been doing so since I was a young buck. I enjoy the challenge and have been fortunate to have harvested many animals from these lands.

Welcome to the site.You are looking for the Lonestar Bowhunters Association,LSBA for short.

DJ

Comment

You can be on the public lands hunting pigs after the deer rifle season and there is no other season and "supposedly" don't have to wear your hunter orange. But i would wear it no matter what.

Go to http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com That will be very helpful also.

Comment

Limb rat season is open so you have to wear it. Dont forget you have to have a hat also.....400inches including the hat ...I think

Comment

LBJ/Caddo rules state hunter orange isn't required during archery season and does not list the other gun season stipulation as in the TPWD handbook

Comment

I am not sure I would hunt public land during gun season without it on. There are way too many "shoot first ask questions later" types on public land.

Comment

Sommerville both vest and hat hunter orange. Welcome to the site.

Comment

you aren't kidding. I was out at LBJ last year fishing and sounded like WWIII and that was in Dec. I can't even imagine opening weekend

Originally posted by Okiehunter View Post
                I am not sure I would hunt public land during gun season without it on. There are way too many "shoot first ask questions later" types on public land.

Comment

Hey the first time someone slings an arrow or a bullet you way because they were shooting at a dark spot you will wear that orange with pride. Always a good Idea to wear it and keep safe out there with other hunter. You don't know how safe of hunters they are and not worth the risk

Comment

Welcome to the fire, gr8fulhunter

Comment

I was given a warning ticket when scouting Alazan bayou before bow season because hunter orange was required when any gun hunting is allowed and hogs are hunted there year round.

Comment

Yes, hunters must wear orange (hat and vest) if there is a gun hunt going on, including squirrel or hog hunting. I wouldn't have it any other way. You wouldn't catch ME going out there during a gun hunt without some kind of orange on.

Todd

Comment

Thanks All.

Thanks to all for the replies to my first post.

Like I said, I have been hinting public land all over the country for more than 30 years and can understand the need for hunter orange when hunting during the deer gun seasons, but this is the first place I have encountered the requirement for any gun season other than deer.

Also, thanks for the info on LBHA.

Comment

So what takes precedent? The TPWD guidelines or the property rules?

Comment

the only time you HAVE to wear hunters orange is on Public Lands (WMA, Gov. Land) not on private property unless it i a property rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X