Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

New full frame wide lens to consider... Tamron 15-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide angle snow opportunities?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Casey, is ISO 6400 (for example) the same at f/2.8 with the same lens as it would be on a 7D, as far as exposure levels go? I know there would be less noise, but do the histograms still look the same?
      Shane, I thought I had successfully deployed my tc on a night soccer game with stupid high ISOs but can't find an image. I do have some at f2.8, 6400 and even 12800 that came out strong enough to print. These are from poorly lit public soccer fields and soccer fields are gigantic. I crop a lot in other words. I think the 5DIII let me shoot these whereas the 7D would have been in the car. However, that Sigma 120-300 f2.8 didn't hurt either.

If you're selective in your shots, I bet 200mm on a football field at f2.8 ISO6400 will surprise you with the full frame. I don't find the difference in crop to be so limiting. I still have my 7D and it is covered in dust because I've learned to follow the action, get in better position and be more selective in my shots. I just love the full frame.

Here is an ISO 12800 (yes, 12800) image taken at f2.8 for 1/640 second on the 5DIII. It was cleaned up in lightroom. I assure you the lights at a public soccer field are no better than those at a small football stadium.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143_800.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	367.0 KB
ID:	24366838

Again, maybe the TC isn't the answer, but I promise you the high ISO performance coupled with crop capabilities and a better sensor should not be ignored.

Comment

Shane, all this advice will COST you in the long run

Comment

Very nice, Casey! I will definitely be getting that camera eventually. Lack of noise is amazing. Zach just has one more year of football though. I would need f/2.8 and at least 300mm if I went to full frame. That would get expensive, especially for just 1 season. If Zach was your son's age it would be well worth the investment for me.

My 70-200 works with the crop sensor 7D, and the high ISO shots are decent. Here's one at ISO 12800, f/2.8, and 1/500. A little more noise than the full frame, but I can live with it for one more season.

When we're at a field with enough light for ISO 6400, it helps a bunch. This one is ISO 6400, f/2.8 and 1/500.

Comment

I'm thinking I need that Sigma 120-300

Comment

I live in "bad light". Consequently this rig is fun.

This is f2.8 and 3200 ISO. It's hard to get my mind around 6400 but I guess I'll test that at some point. Our soccer season starts soon but we don't play under lights.

I cropped this one just a little to remove a door frame I didn't like so it's not as wide open as others.

The Fall by legdog, on Flickr
              Last edited by Legdog; 03-01-2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I pulled this thread up again a few weeks ago and started getting the itch for an Ultra wide angle lens again. 24mm was the widest I have and have been wanting something in the 14-16mm range.

After looking over more of Legdogs pics with the Tammy I decided it needed to be in the bag...brown truck dropped it off today and so far I am blown away. Third party lenses are a gamble sometimes but Tamron really nailed it with this one. With the VC turned on i was comfortable taking shots down to 1/2 sec shutter speed hand held inside the house that were sharp.

Need to play around with it some more but so far it is extremely comparable to the 14-24 Nikon and even surpasses it in some aspects. That is saying a lot!

Comment

I am wanting some new glass also and was just looking at this the other day. Tempting....

Comment

I still use it all the time.

[IMG]WRL with Conrad-7 by Steven Leggett, on Flickr[/IMG]

it's pretty good at long exposure too... 220 seconds here.

[IMG]flipper futuro-22 by Steven Leggett, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fun to shoot a whole room.

[IMG]flipper futuro-4 by Steven Leggett, on Flickr[/IMG]

one more...

[IMG]WRL-3 by Steven Leggett, on Flickr[/IMG]
                    Last edited by Legdog; 03-10-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Great pics Steven. So far I have only taken the obligatory new lens unboxing cat pictures and have been impressed with it on the D810. I needed something much wider for inside the duck blind and walking around travel lens and this fits the bill nicely. Never though I needed VR/VC on a wide angle but for handholding in low light this thing works great. Wish I would have had it when I was inside the churches and cathedrals in Barcelona.

Comment

Working...
                      X