One Day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sika View Post
    Russell, may I ask how you got so much blur in the background with the values Shane posted? The DOF seems extremely shallow for F8.

Thanks! I am always trying to learn.
    That is a good question.

Depth of field, ultimately, is a balance between focal length, distance from the subject, and the distance of the background from the subject.

With a wide angle lens, you won't be able to get super soft backgrounds unless you are super close to your subject. Even then, the background will never end up super-blurry.

If you add a telephoto lens, then the background begins to blur more. However, if the background is relatively close to the subject, you won't get a super blurry background.

For example, if the deer was standing at the edge of a motte of trees, then the background wouldn't be as soft.

In this shot, the combination of an extreme focal length (1000mm) a relatively close distance to the subject (probably 30 yards), and the background being a good distance away from the deer all combine to make the background nice and silky.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Russell

Comment

Makes perfect sense. I figured the focal length played a big role. thanks again!

Comment

Thanks, Shane!

That one wouldn't work for my Mac, but I quickly found a Firefox add-on that did work!

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
          That one wouldn't work for my Mac
          Man, if I had a nickle for every time I heard that (i would say a dollar, but honestly I don't need Bill Gates money)

Comment

Great shot of deer. It was nice meeting you Russel. Krys showed me the shots you e-mailed him and they were great. Looking forward to seeing the article in TPWD.

Comment

As always nice pics Russell G.

Comment

Originally posted by Brannon74 View Post
                Great shot of deer. It was nice meeting you Russel. Krys showed me the shots you e-mailed him and they were great. Looking forward to seeing the article in TPWD.

Hey, it was great meeting you, too. I am glad you guys liked the pictures and just wish that I'd have had more time to spend.

Thanks,

RG

Comment

Nice buck. He should be a good one in the next couple of years. Russell, there were some really bad storms up that way. I think our lease missed most of it. Heard Childress was hit pretty bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X