Canon Repair/Customer Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Repair/Customer Service

A few weeks ago, on a trip to CDLC, my 7D started giving me an "Error 30", and advised me to replace battery and turn the camera on/off. It would allow me to take an occasional picture or two, but then would repeat the error. I managed a few shots in between errors, and borrowed Casey's to get other pics to document the weekend. I researched the issue online while I was there, and read horror stories of 5+ week repair times and cameras returned with "unable to find problem", only to have the issue repeated when the owner started taking pics. I was a little concerned.

Upon my return home, I logged onto the Canon Repair Center website, filled in the information and shipped the camera to Irvine, CA. It actually took 6 days to get to Irvine, then another 5 days (3 business days) for them to get it logged into their system, but I was soon contacted to authorize the repair charges. It was out of warranty, but Canon has a flat rate repair charge ($180), which I figure is fairly reasonable. On Monday I got an email that the camera had been shipped via Fedex 2 day, and I received my camera back, in full working order, along with a note that it had been returned to "factory specifications."

Having borrowed my brother's 7D (and a sweet 10mm/2.8 Sigma!) for a return trip to CDLC, I wasn't really in a huge hurry for it's return, but I'm more than satisfied with the time it took (which I could have reduced by almost a week by shipping overnight or two day). I'm also satisfied with the repair, which includes an additional warranty (6 months, I believe).

I figure it's good to share my experience in case others have similar issues.
    My Flickr Photos

I had an even quicker turn around on mine a few weeks ago, and that was during Christmas/New Years. Top notch service as far as I was concerned. Mine was still in warranty. Don't know if that matters or not.

From what I've read, Canon USA's service is great and Canada's sucks.

Comment

This is really good to know. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Good to hear this story. I just dropped $900 on the Canon Eos Rebel T2i. Haven't even opened the box yet because I have been debating if any camera is worth that kind of money to me (and whether i should actually keep or return). I have been wanting to get a SLR, and eyeing this thing for a long time to use for taking pictures and video of my family - but also for using while blind hunting in the future. Nice to hear reinforcements on a hunting forum about Canon SLR's and how good they are, and how good their company is. Makes me think, its time I go ahead and open my box, and start learning how to use my new toy.....

Comment

Working...
        X