Houston churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 12RingKing View Post
    The blowback on Lakewood church, to me, is somewhat justified. He has a huge arena of a church that he could have housed thousands and thousands of people.

The only out he has is the fact that he might have been concerned his church was going to flood. But that didn't stop other places from taking people in.

My opinion on the Osteen family is not very favorable though. They are in a business. That's their mindset.
    I personally found my disdain for him personally was clouding my evaluation of the situation. I'm trying to be more impartial and evaluate without that shading.

My bottom line is that churches should absolutely be assisting where it is feasible. BUT the church is a large organism, and it appears tons of help from churches outside is working to meet needs. I feel like I'm not doing enough. Wishing I had time available to get down there

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
      I personally found my disdain for him personally was clouding my evaluation of the situation. I'm trying to be more impartial and evaluate without that shading.

My bottom line is that churches should absolutely be assisting where it is feasible. BUT the church is a large organism, and it appears tons of help from churches outside is working to meet needs. I feel like I'm not doing enough. Wishing I had time available to get down there
      Bingo, the church is you and I and your neighbor and your coworker.
      There is a TBH'er new to our area (I don't know if he has found a church home up here yet but would love to have him join us) that got out and drove to town a few days ago, bought several bags of groceries and carried them to a local church to feed evacuees. He then drove back to town and repeated this for another church in town. He then went back to the first church and asked for names and addresses of folks who couldn't get to town that needed groceries. He made 4 more trips to town and was upset cause he couldn't make it through high water to get to a 5th household.
      THIS IS THE CHURCH IN ACTION, not a building or any structure. It's people being the hands and feet of Jesus.
      If you can't do it in Houston for them, then do it where you live for shut-ins, widows, and orphans. They need you as much or more than Houston does.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
        There is a TBH'er new to our area (I don't know if he has found a church home up here yet but would love to have him join us) that got out and drove to town a few days ago, bought several bags of groceries and carried them to a local church to feed evacuees. He then drove back to town and repeated this for another church in town. He then went back to the first church and asked for names and addresses of folks who couldn't get to town that needed groceries. He made 4 more trips to town and was upset cause he couldn't make it through high water to get to a 5th household.
        THIS IS THE CHURCH IN ACTION, not a building or any structure. It's people being the hands and feet of Jesus.
        If you can't do it in Houston for them, then do it where you live for shut-ins, widows, and orphans. They need you as much or more than Houston does.
        Thank you and also for the Chuch Community in general!!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post

You are probably right. My preconceived opinion of them probably does cloud my judgement.

Comment

I have been working at the Tomball EOC since Friday. 100% of the churches in our area are either a shelter or are collecting and delivery supplies. I don't know who or why this type of propaganda gets sent out on social media.

The Lakewood (mega church) is a shelter. They have flooded in the past so that delayed them opening up. It would be irresponsible to open up as a shelter knowing you were going to flood. Once they felt they were in the clear they opened up.

Comment

Anyone think God is going to ask you what Joel Olstein did to help or if it will be what you did?

After cutting drywall in houses for 2 straight days I helped at a church last night that had their administrative offices flooded. A majority of their area was flooded meaning most of the church leadership was out dealing with their own homes. The few volunteers there were doing all they could just to get the church facilities in a state to where they might be able to help people. In the meantime, trucks were rolling through the parking lot trying to over fill the church dumpsters.

I can name at least 5 churches within a 4 mile radius of my home that took on water. Wish this thread would just be deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                Very well said Tim!
                Oh and you can't have 'im! I'm gonna kidnap him and his love bride!!

He has worked his butt off. Heck, he even tried to get to my place to get my boat and other gear I had, but we just could not get across the dang creek bridge between us...

I was so frustrated! I keep tellin' myself, there's going to be plenty of opportunity to serve... This thing is just gettin' started!
                I will say that the 59 bridge at Kingwood being closed is a genuine PITA!! to get from my office to our church, I have to go from Humble to 1960, up Hardy Toll, to 99 and across to 59 and back down... All just to go less than a mile like the crow flies... My frustration continues, but there are GIANT operations going on behind the scenes to help our families and this city get itself back up and running and to rebuild lives!

Just like you said, it is every single one of all of us that makes things happen...

Comment

Working...
                X