Houston churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston churches

I'm sure we have all seen the blowback online regarding Lakewood Church. But I saw a stat this morning that only 4% of Houston churches have opened their doors to house evacuees. Is that a legit stat?

Obviously if the church house itself has sustained damage and is in no better shape then the surrounding homes they can't open, or if it's isolated and can't be reached.

Not casting stones, just really curious about the reality of that situation
    Last edited by Playa; 08-30-2017, 07:56 AM. Reason: To change the tone of the question

Is this a time to start a Church bashing thread in the back door? Especially without knowing if your stat is true?

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
      Is this a time to start a Church bashing thread in the back door? Especially without knowing if your stat is true?
      A) it was a question trying to confirm the stats
      B) there was no church bashing

I found the stats hard to believe and was trying to get some understanding of the validity of the statement.
      Last edited by Playa; 08-30-2017, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
        You must be member of the Lakewood church

Comment

I would not think the stat is true basically because no one can go around checking the churches at this point to determine if they are open.
          However, while I attend what would be called a 'mega church', the overwhelming majority of churches are small (less than 200 members). I'm sure most of those churches don't have the staff and volunteers can't get to the churches in order to accommodate the displaced.
          Most churches I know of are involved in sending folks/goods to help. Those in the area are probably just trying to get their bearings like the people they serve.

Comment

Not sure if the stat is true. Lot of reasons that could keep it from opening, area, access, staffing, flooding,...
            I know of 6 churches in the Cleveland area open feeding, clothing, housing and loving on over 1000 people a day. The one closest to my house had a foot of water in it Saturday. We just do what we can and don't worry about those churches that aren't open.

Comment

One would think the staff of these churches are also dealing with flooding of there own homes and survival. In other words they are in the same boat as everyone else.

Comment

doesn't mean anything for your stats, but I know of at least one in Clear Lake that sustained damage and is already coordinating relief efforts and is setting up as a staging area for donations coming in from outside the state.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                  You must be member of the Lakewood church
                  No I am not moved out of the Houston area 2 plus years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                    Not sure if the stat is true. Lot of reasons that could keep it from opening, area, access, staffing, flooding,...
                    I know of 6 churches in the Cleveland area open feeding, clothing, housing and loving on over 1000 people a day. The one closest to my house had a foot of water in it Saturday. We just do what we can and don't worry about those churches that aren't open.
                    This, the work y'all are doing is a great thing!!

Comment

What if the pastor and church staff are flooded in their home as well?

Comment

I know that Willow Meadows Baptist (4300 W. Bellfort 77035) is coordinating clean-up efforts in homes, calling for volunteers to meet at the church at 8 a.m. today through Saturday.

Comment

The blowback on Lakewood church, to me, is somewhat justified. He has a huge arena of a church that he could have housed thousands and thousands of people.

The only out he has is the fact that he might have been concerned his church was going to flood. But that didn't stop other places from taking people in.

My opinion on the Osteen family is not very favorable though. They are in a business. That's their mindset.

Comment

It has to be organized, staffed, and capable, otherwise it could be another Superdome. I don't have an issue with the way that "Mega Church" responded. Should Minute Maid and NRG stadiums been open? Why just point at that one church?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                              What if the pastor and church staff are flooded in their home as well?
                              Don't bring common sense into this debate

People wanna be angryyyyyy at the churches

Comment

Working...
                              X