Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
    The San Bernard is as high as it's ever been! We got some water in the downstairs of the river house but will be good.

Where was this taken from ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        Good Lord help us if this happens.
        This would probably be the end of the 99 bridge over the Brazos down there by you, its already got one piling that's not even in the soil anymore after the flood from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          Thank you. Im not sure how accurate it is though. My parents house was right at the edge of the flooding last year when the Brazos was swelling from all the rain upstream and that was at 54.5 ft. It was quite accurate last year when I was looking at it and going to check on them. Now the map is showing the same thing in their area with the river being an additional 4ft higher. I hear our levee is supposed to protect us to 61 ft but who knows if that is accurate. Once it is breached at any point it will swamp us all. The stress is beginning to take its toll. Im going to pray that the river doesnt hit the heights estimated.
          My daughter just sent me a similar report from the Ft Bend Sherriff's office stating 59' as well.

I seem to remember last year at it crest the water was within a foot of going over in some parts of Greatwood. If you drove the Hwy 59 feeder, you could see it right at top of the levee on both the northbound side (Greatwood) and southbound (River park).

Scary days ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
            This would probably be the end of the 99 bridge over the Brazos down there by you, its already got one piling that's not even in the soil anymore after the flood from last year.
            It was amazing to see the bank erosion over the 99 bridge, but you must also remember that she was full for several weeks.

Comment

Somebody help me out with river flood calculation. For example, the Brazos at Richmond has a datum of 27.94' above sea level. This is the basis level for the river at at that spot. So when the river is at 59' you add these two numbers together to get a water mark above sea level. Is this correct ? Would that mean anything adjacent to the river below 86.94' above sea level would be under water?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                Are you in New Territory area?
                Yes sir

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                  They have already closed the bridge. The engineer who designed the bridge on the curve of a major river should be fired. The bridge had eroded way further than they thought

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                    Somebody help me out with river flood calculation. For example, the Brazos at Richmond has a datum of 27.94' above sea level. This is the basis level for the river at at that spot. So when the river is at 59' you add these two numbers together to get a water mark above sea level. Is this correct ? Would that mean anything adjacent to the river below 86.94' above sea level would be under water?
                    No. the 59 feet is distance above the same base datum. You don't add them together...

Here's a graph I posted earlier. You can see it in the graph: (this is for the San Jac. but the graph for the Brazos looks the same).

Click image for larger version

Name:	SanJacRivr.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	24509476

Comment

Can't get to the patrol substation in Humble (all ways in are flooded). Me and a partner will be in the atascocita/huffman area tonight if anyone needs anything. PM and I will get it immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                        They have already closed the bridge. The engineer who designed the bridge on the curve of a major river should be fired. The bridge had eroded way further than they thought
                        When did they close it, today or yesterday?

Comment

Thanks Bobby, y'all stay safe.

Comment

The tv weather guys seem to think it'll be a quieter night and the dry air will reduce the rainfall amounts. Y'all think this thing will flare up again over night?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              No. the 59 feet is distance above the same base datum. You don't add them together...

Here's a graph I posted earlier. You can see it in the graph: (this is for the San Jac. but the graph for the Brazos looks the same).

[ATTACH]870376[/ATTACH]
                              Everything I can find to read says to add the foot stage to the datum to get a water surface level in relation to sea level. Are you saying that is not correct ? Can you explain further ? The stage is feet above the datum, correct ? Would the total feet plus the datum tell you height above sea level ?
                              Last edited by TXJIM; 08-27-2017, 05:59 PM.

Comment

New track shows east of Houston and Harris county now. Per channel 2

Comment

Working...
                                X