No announcement yet.

Tropical Weather Threat For Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old katy going underwater as we speak. this band won't go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      This has become insane...witnessing a 500 year flood it appears.

I'm proud of Texas right now.

Several have said this is probably a 1000yr flood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In Katy at 99 and 529

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
          Several have said this is probably a 1000yr flood.

Let's hope it's at least 1,000 years before it ever happens again.

Comment

We are about to get hit with the west band and I'm pretty worried this may be the one to do our bayou in. Going to be a long night, stay safe everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Yessir, I don't think you are correct, but I can find no anchor as to what the "datum" is across the board... for instance you can pick a gauge up and downstream on any given river (I watch the Trinity closely), and the base datum varies greatly... For instance at Moss Hill the flood stage for the trinity is 26 feet at Liberty but it's only 12.2 feet at Moss Bluff, and that is upstream quite a way from Liberty... I don't really think there's any correlation between the "stage" feet and sea level...
              The correlation is between datum and sea level. If the datum for a given point is 25', then the established "normal" level for that spot is 25' above sea level. The stage, measured in feet, is how high above datum the river has risen. To get sea level of the current conditions you would add datum to stage feet.

Water School
              What is datum?

Hydrology Return
              Datum is the basis for relating a river's stage to mean sea level. (datum + stage = elevation in feet above mean sea level)
              Datum is the basis for relating a river's stage to mean sea level. (datum + stage = elevation in feet above mean sea level)

What I am trying to understand is how that relates to the surrounding area once a river goes out of its banks.

Lets say you live near the river and the slab of your house is 75' above sea level. If the river has a datum of 25', and is over its banks at a flood stage of 55', does that necessarily mean you are getting 5' of water in your house? Are there other factors that might not be considered in this assumption?

Comment

Said on the news they're releasing water from addicks reservoir and one other one into buffalo bayou tonight because the dams are in danger of failing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet Black View Post
                  old katy going underwater as we speak. this band won't go away.
                  Have several friends north of I10 with water coming in now. Still draining here in Pin Oak, don't know for how much longer. Heard there was a 23yr old some where by KJH riding an air mattress and got sucked into a drain.

Comment

I've got a brother in Katy, he's says he was fine earlier, but that's before the band starting dumping rain on them. He's not in old town Katy, he's north of I-10 and closer to 99

Comment

Regarding the bridge over the Brazos at 99......they have a laser set up shooting from one side to the other that is monitoring any movement. If there is any shifting or movement the bridge will be shut down. Once the water comes up higher than the laser it will be shut down regardless. This is what was distributed to us earlier today.

Comment

Conroe is coming up like a rocket!

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                          City of Liberty has had about all it can stand. Pumps have kept up so far but this last round is getting deep. If it doesn't let up soon it will be bad. The dam is supposed to release 10000 cfm for every inch of rain at the dam. It takes 48 hours from the lake to liberty.Saltwater Slick with all due respect Moss hill is upsteam and miss bluff is downstream
                          I was thinking Moss Hill too! my BAD!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

Good luck getting through on that line.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJIM View Post
                                The correlation is between datum and sea level. If the datum for a given point is 25', then the established "normal" level for that spot is 25' above sea level. The stage, measured in feet, is how high above datum the river has risen. To get sea level of the current conditions you would add datum to stage feet.

Water School
                                What is datum?

Hydrology Return
                                Datum is the basis for relating a river's stage to mean sea level. (datum + stage = elevation in feet above mean sea level)
                                Datum is the basis for relating a river's stage to mean sea level. (datum + stage = elevation in feet above mean sea level)

What I am trying to understand is how that relates to the surrounding area once a river goes out of its banks.

Lets say you live near the river and the slab of your house is 75' above sea level. If the river has a datum of 25', and is over its banks at a flood stage of 55', does that necessarily mean you are getting 5' of water in your house? Are there other factors that might not be considered in this assumption?
                                Well, looking strictly at the math, I'd say you'd get 5' of water over the slab, but don't have a clue as to any other factors.... Don't know what those factors might be... Seems to me about the same correlation between this and a siphon principle... what happens between the beginning of the siphon hose and the end does not matter. Only thing that matters is where the beginning is with relation to where the end is... as long as the beginning is in the water and the end is lower, water will run thru the siphon... That water will find its own level. I'd think sea level is sea level and distance above sea level should be consistent too. 5 feet of water above sea level next to the river bank would be the same as 5 feet of water on your slab??

Heck I don't know... I can't even get Moss Hill straight with Moss Bluff in my other explanation! It's been a loooong day and it's gonna be a looong night!!

Comment

Working...
                                X