No announcement yet.

Walk or Whack Hopkins Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With as wily & weary as those deer are on your farm, I'd say hunt him and see how you feel when you see him on his feet and within bow range.

He may walk through and you don't get as excited as you think.

Or maybe you get jacked up that you know you have to run an arrow through 'em.

Or he may not ever give you a chance with those swirling winds.

I had the same decision on opening day several years ago on the same age class buck and took him. I sat through the worst mosquito attack of my life and ended up getting sick as heck from all the bites but don't regret it.

Either way, walk or whack, it's not a bad decision. But if I were in your shoes and it would be my personal best, I'd run a sharp stick through his heart locker. SEND IT!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Let the air out!

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
        With as wily & weary as those deer are on your farm, I'd say hunt him and see how you feel when you see him on his feet and within bow range.

He may walk through and you don't get as excited as you think.

Or maybe you get jacked up that you know you have to run an arrow through 'em.

Or he may not ever give you a chance with those swirling winds.

I had the same decision on opening day several years ago on the same age class buck and took him. I sat through the worst mosquito attack of my life and ended up getting sick as heck from all the bites but don't regret it.

Either way, walk or whack, it's not a bad decision. But if I were in your shoes and it would be my personal best, I'd run a sharp stick through his heart locker. SEND IT!!
        I remember that deer! I think I can actually play the swirling winds pretty well with where he likes to hang out. I'll be ditching the feeder to hunt him but that feeder and camera has helped me get a good idea where he's moving. Walked probably a mile up and down the creek last weekend in those high winds to try and find his sign/bed with no avail. Best I can tell he's coming from the state park working up and down the bottom keeping a close eye on does. With a north/northwest wind he can walk my entire property and keep tabs on does in that creek bottom.

Comment

Well I had about 30 seconds to run an arrow through him Saturday but didn’t do it. He’s a nice buck and definitely the biggest I’ve harvested with a bow but he’s not a “holy crap get the bow” kind of deer. Came through pushing does around 4:30pm Saturday and walked under me at about 15 yards but never checked up, kept pushing the does right passed the feeder. But I have him dialed in pretty well now just have to play the winds. He also came through with this nice 8 that I grunted and rattled back in twice. Also had this other young 8 show up last night! It’s getting wild in the woods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice buck whichever you decide. I think he’s middle aged and not near done. I quit worry about neighbors once they get over 4yo the average hunter around me will never see one that age
            Last edited by Low Fence; 11-01-2022, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X