Walk or Whack Hopkins Co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk or Whack Hopkins Co.

Hopkins Co buck, whack or walk??? 100 acre property. No hunting to the north, likely little hunting pressure to the south, however east and west are hunted. Frequents eastern part of the property that shares a creek bottom with a neighbor, creek mainly on me. I've shot some good bucks with a rifle but best buck to date with a bow is 120".

I've got him around 3.5-4 and think he could be a real dandy if he made it another year. Genetics are pretty poor in this area and I'm half debating letting him walk, at least early, to breed some does.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SYEW4214.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	25296413

Name:	SYEW4205.JPG
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	25296414

Name:	SYEW4184.JPG
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	25296415

If he makes you happy then whack his butt!

Comment

I think you are right on the age, if I had to pick I would say 3.5 more than 4.5. If you want to see if he survives the rut and then chase him, that's a good option, but I'd be more inclined to let him walk all together and roll the dive. He might get killed by a neighbor, but if you kill him, he definitely won't make it. We have a similar setup, although a little bigger property, half our neighbors hunt at least to some degree. Have had a probably 70% survival rate when we walk them.

I see high 120s low 130s. With another year I think he'll be high 130s / low 40s maybe and a really nice deer.

Comment

That’s a hard one to say. If he’ll be your biggest to date and you want him take him out.

Comment

Unless you know the neighbors really well and they all agree on passing him, you need to kill him if you get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
            I think you are right on the age, if I had to pick I would say 3.5 more than 4.5. If you want to see if he survives the rut and then chase him, that's a good option, but I'd be more inclined to let him walk all together and roll the dive. He might get killed by a neighbor, but if you kill him, he definitely won't make it. We have a similar setup, although a little bigger property, half our neighbors hunt at least to some degree. Have had a probably 70% survival rate when we walk them.

I see high 120s low 130s. With another year I think he'll be high 130s / low 40s maybe and a really nice deer.

Totally agree with you. My neighbor to the east hunts and has a food plot but I don’t know how hard he hunts. Neighbors to the south frequently visit Africa, New Zealand, etc so I don’t think they’re wasting their time on a 130” whitetail. To the west is kind of an unknown but I don’t have him traveling anywhere over there. This is year two for sure that I’ve seen him.

Helps my boss is letting me hunt several 140”+ bucks in Oklahoma!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see a 5yo deer. Better take him if you get the chance.

Comment

whack Him,

Comment

Hard decision. If you let him walk will the neighbors. Or will that be the last time you see him.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I see a 5yo deer. Better take him if you get the chance.

Hard for me to get to that age…at most I put him at 4. I’ll see if I can find his picture from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterbassman View Post
                      Hard decision. If you let him walk will the neighbors. Or will that be the last time you see him.

I agree, that’s always the risk but sometimes the reward is worth the risk!

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post
                        Totally agree with you. My neighbor to the east hunts and has a food plot but I don’t know how hard he hunts. Neighbors to the south frequently visit Africa, New Zealand, etc so I don’t think they’re wasting their time on a 130” whitetail. To the west is kind of an unknown but I don’t have him traveling anywhere over there. This is year two for sure that I’ve seen him.

Helps my boss is letting me hunt several 140”+ bucks in Oklahoma!

The rut is when he will be in the most danger from the neighbor. I don't know your property, but the reason we have had great success on our property (four 4.5+ bucks in three years off of 250 acres) is because we give them everything they need post rut (protein / food plot), and we give them sanctuary. This year I was lucky enough to get our old target buck, there's one more that hangs out on our front pasture, and the others (4) are all getting a pass for next year. Other two guys on the lease will hunt the rut, and then get out of there, making our property a sanctuary late season. Not sure if you can do the same, but keeping them on your property to the extent possible definitely maximizes your chances.

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post
                          Hard for me to get to that age…at most I put him at 4. I’ll see if I can find his picture from last year.

You very well could be right. But he sure has a big neck and chest.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
                            The rut is when he will be in the most danger from the neighbor. I don't know your property, but the reason we have had great success on our property (four 4.5+ bucks in three years off of 250 acres) is because we give them everything they need post rut (protein / food plot), and we give them sanctuary. This year I was lucky enough to get our old target buck, there's one more that hangs out on our front pasture, and the others (4) are all getting a pass for next year. Other two guys on the lease will hunt the rut, and then get out of there, making our property a sanctuary late season. Not sure if you can do the same, but keeping them on your property to the extent possible definitely maximizes your chances.

I agree. I’ve got a little under 3 acres of food plot In this year mainly on my north end. He has plenty of sanctuary on my land but he’s got all of the state park to my north to rest, which I’m about 90% positive he does. Luckily I’m a one man band and will put my last doe in the freezer hopefully this weekend. Plan to hunt the rut and call it quits after that. Have a couple 6/7 points that might get my tag this year.

Comment

Full send with the neighbor I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X