No announcement yet.

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could a couple of you experienced guys post up what you would buy to get started? We don't see alot of coyotes on camera but feel like we should have more deer than we do. I would like to start doing some trapping but get lost in all the trapping slang.

Comment

Well got our line started Saturday and promptly had 5 inches of fresh snow that next morning. Sets are buried and more snow was on the way for today so we pulled out.
      Tried to uncover some sets but with it still snowing not doing much good.
      We'll go back Wednesday and clear sets and re set.
      Drive home on the unplowed highway was interesting. We had no issues but some 18 wheelers taking the only road open towards Casper got stuck on some steep hills.

There were not fresh tracks even on the morning check, we expected as much with unsettled weather.
      Last pic is the Highway through Sybille Canyon, next to last pic is the culvert we have sets on both ends, it was drifted in as well.

Good luck down there on the lopers, you all are tearing them up it looks like !!
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
        Could a couple of you experienced guys post up what you would buy to get started? We don't see alot of coyotes on camera but feel like we should have more deer than we do. I would like to start doing some trapping but get lost in all the trapping slang.
        I am no expert by any means but here are some basics

Traps
        Anchoring method or drag
        Something to dig with (I use a heavy garden trowel/spade)
        Sifter
        Lure
        bait if you make dirt hole sets

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          I am no expert by any means but here are some basics

Traps
          Anchoring method or drag
          Something to dig with (I use a heavy garden trowel/spade)
          Sifter
          Lure
          bait if you make dirt hole sets

Thank you.....more details would be great on which trap and which lure and bait to start with.

Comment

Thank you.....more details would be great on which trap and which lure and bait to start with.
            This is one of those questions that’s easily asked but can be a bear to answer. They literally write entire books and give classes on how to start trapping. There is just so much to go over for you to be successful. Most trappers when they start might go 2 sometimes 3 yrs before catching their first coyote. I would suggest getting on trapperman.com and go to “Land Trapping Archive” and dive in and read all you can. Also on YouTube search for “Management advantage” and watch ever video he has on trapping. He has some good stuff on equipment. But to answer your question directly

Traps-Mb 550 2 coiled
            Anchors- fox hollow super stakes
            Bait - Hiawatha Valley
            Lure- Gusto or violator7
            Urine- Jamison’s coyote urine is a good one
            Sifter
            Driver for super stakes
            Digging hammer
            Pan covers
            Kneeling pad
            Bucket to haul it all in.
            Keep bait, lure and urine off your traps.

You can get everything at F&T trapping supply. In my opinion they are the best to buy from online
            Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-02-2023, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Sharkhunter can tell you better than I can but…..
              I use a modified #3 4 spring bridger trap. 10 foot chain with a drag. I use o gorman bait and lures.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                This is one of those questions that’s easily asked but can be a bear to answer. They literally write entire books and give classes on how to start trapping. There is just so much to go over for you to be successful. Most trappers when they start might go 2 sometimes 3 yrs before catching their first coyote. I would suggest getting on trapperman.com and go to “Land Trapping Archive” and dive in and read all you can. Also on YouTube search for “Management advantage” and watch ever video he has on trapping. He has some good stuff on equipment. But to answer your question directly

Traps-Mb 550 2 coiled
                Anchors- fox hollow super stakes
                Bait - Hiawatha Valley
                Lure- Gusto or violator7
                Urine- Jamison’s coyote urine is a good one
                Sifter
                Driver for super stakes
                Digging hammer
                Pan covers
                Kneeling pad
                Bucket to haul it all in.
                Keep bait, lure and urine off your traps.

You can get everything at F&T trapping supply. In my opinion they are the best to buy from online

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. Exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

These guys are a wealth of information on trapping down South. Good advice to be had right here but I would hop on over to Trapperman forum and look through the archives for some more info.

I don't think you'll find better advice though on coyotes than here.
                  Minnesota Trapline Products are also good folks with supplies.
                  You may find some traps on sale after season and save a little money too.
                  Surprisingly Scheels had some quality traps and supplies in Frisco, traps were a bit expensive though.

Comment

To those thinking of starting coyote trapping it’s a huge learning curve, but not hard.
                    #1 keep bait/lure off your traps. Use a separate set of gloves to touch those two things. Contaminated traps will be dug up.
                    #2 learn how to properly bed a trap, loose traps will be dug up. These 2 things educate coyotes making them very hard to catch.
                    #3 Learn the flat and dirt hole set. These 2 sets will catch any coyote on earth.
                    #4 Trap selection. This is way behind the importance of #1 thru 3. Good trap options have been mentioned already.
                    # 5 Bait/lure is another item that I think way too much emphasis is put on. There’s no magic bait/lure that will keep a coyote dancing on your set until he gets caught. Use a mild smelling bait early season warm weather- strong/loud bait when it’s colder.
                    Good luck getting started!

Comment

Wytex just looking at your cold weather pics earlier made me put on an extra layer of clothes! I’d hate to fight that snow on a trap line.

Comment

In yalls opinion is this a good package to get started?

Comment

We use some dogless traps and I like them.
                          We also use regular stakes and drags, no cable stakes or super stakes.

We're headed up in the morning to check, clear sets and re set a few. I'm anticipating 12 inches of snow, yuck !!! A few snares are going out too.
                          Hoping for some melt off by end of the week.
                          Wind will really be limiting as it will really drift up some snow and make travel iffy.

Comment

Got a small, dark female on a pipe set with Coyote Claymore II.
                            Also, Coyote Frenzy gland lure on an old dropping.
                            Could have been either one that attracted the yote.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230103_130710.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	24701893

Comment

Link not working for me, Sippy.

Comment

Winding down on this property. Had one coyote by a lake that I missed a couple of times but today he messed up. #14 medium size male. MB 550 4 coiled, staked deer hide, Jameson’s coyote urine. Also this set has been in the dirt for almost 4 weeks without rebaiting. Sometimes you just have to let the sets work !
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by sharkhunter; 01-03-2023, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X