Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farlow View Post
    Had some beavers move into a pond at my house and caught this kit last night. First double back foot catch. Using the appendages as bait for the coyotes that have zeroed in on my ewes.
    Awesome work !! They use everything off a beaver for bait. The casters make great coyote and also bobcat bait. The tail is used often by itself as coyote bait as well as the meat!

Comment

Originally posted by farlow View Post
      Had some beavers move into a pond at my house and caught this kit last night. First double back foot catch. Using the appendages as bait for the coyotes that have zeroed in on my ewes.
      I never had luck with beaver in a foot trap. I did slay them with snares.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Comment

#13 nice size male on a flat set baited with deer hide and urine.
        Attached Files

Comment

Good work, fellas.

Comment

Had a couple misses. Probably the same coyote.
            The 2 sets are about 100 feet
            apart on the same road.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20230101_135027.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	24701759

Name:	20230101_135130.jpg
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	24701760

Comment

He’ll be back. You’ll have him in a day or two.

Comment

I also found a fawn, probably
                hit by a vehicle, just inside my fenceline.
                Right next to the county road.

Name:	20230101_140605.jpg
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	24701763
                I staked it down on an intersection of roads that I have 6 sets on.
                I used an old snare that I had messed up putting a set curl in it

Name:	20230101_142103.jpg
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	24701764

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                  He’ll be back. You’ll have him in a day or two.
                  Yeah, I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                    #13 nice size male on a flat set baited with deer hide and urine.
                    Man yalls coyotes down that way have some nice color! Our coyotes from north central Texas are lighter colored and probably 5/7 pounds smaller on average. Here’s some I caught the other day, they are furred up good after that cold snap but they don’t have near the markings the south east Texas coyotes do.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                      Had a couple misses. Probably the same coyote.
                      The 2 sets are about 100 feet
                      apart on the same road.
                      [ATTACH]1114482[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1114483[/ATTACH]
                      Brute those coyotes didn’t give you much of a opportunity to catch them, they gave you the ol snif and go! I see that a lot on the first time they visit a set. The second visit to a set they usually work it a lot harder. Some people say when a coyote does that, it’s because too much bait or lure was applied and the coyote could get all the scent it needed to satisfy its curiosity with a few wiffs. I’ll never know, I use bait like I’ve got stock in the company that made it.

Comment

Brute Killer, is that a coyote dropping or your bait? I use my dogs droppings for bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                          Man yalls coyotes down that way have some nice color! Our coyotes from north central Texas are lighter colored and probably 5/7 pounds smaller on average. Here’s some I caught the other day, they are furred up good after that cold snap but they don’t have near the markings the south east Texas coyotes do.
                          I’ve caught some good size ones this year. Finally got a scale and got a weight on one and he went 44lbs. I know for sure two were way bigger and I honestly believe one went north of 50lbs. Deer killing machines !

Funny thing now that you mention it. I’m going though bait pretty good myself. Probably using twice what I actually need to use on bait and lure both.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                            Brute Killer, is that a coyote dropping or your bait? I use my dogs droppings for bait.
                            The first pic, the little brown thing below the red spot (pan) is a sandstone.
                            The thing below the face (also the pan) is indeed a dropping. It was found about 10 feet from the set.
                            Both the rock and the poop have coyote urine on them.

Comment

As far as bait use, I use about a table spoon's worth.
                              And lure, about a ¼-½ teaspoon.
                              Last edited by Brute Killer; 01-01-2023, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys! Looking forward to seeing what I can catch.

Comment

Working...
                                X