No announcement yet.

East Texas Fall Plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever planted soy beans in the spring and then over seed with clover so when the leaves are gone on the beans you have a clover plot with standing beans? If so how did the deer like the beans and how did the clover grow?

Comment

Originally posted by kp143631 View Post
      Anyone ever planted soy beans in the spring and then over seed with clover so when the leaves are gone on the beans you have a clover plot with standing beans? If so how did the deer like the beans and how did the clover grow?
      Beans in the spring are golden. They do well at my place. And the deer like them. I have never put out clover seed in the spring. Always in the fall along with oats or cereal rye. As mentioned above, rye grass is a filler. That stuff is worthless. Cereal rye is where it’s at.

Comment

[ATTACH]1112767[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1112768[/ATTACH]

I am quite a ways from East Texas but I got oats and daikons coming on strong this year. I have watched deer walk past the feeders and right to my plots.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
          Beans in the spring are golden. They do well at my place. And the deer like them. I have never put out clover seed in the spring. Always in the fall along with oats or cereal rye. As mentioned above, rye grass is a filler. That stuff is worthless. Cereal rye is where it’s at.
          Correct on planting the clover in the fall. I was thinking of putting out the clover around the end of October while the beans are still standing. I was going to leave the beans standing through the fall as well. Do you have any beans make pods that the deer eat in the winter?

Comment

I’m thinking planting some Laredo forage soybeans with deer vetch this spring. Deer love both

Comment

Correct on planting the clover in the fall. I was thinking of putting out the clover around the end of October while the beans are still standing. I was going to leave the beans standing through the fall as well. Do you have any beans make pods that the deer eat in the winter?
              Not beans but I did Austrian winter peas last fall and they got wiped out. I needed to put them in a bigger plot.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                I’m thinking planting some Laredo forage soybeans with deer vetch this spring. Deer love both

Might want to mix in some sorghum / Sudangrass / millet to use up some of that double shot of nitrogen. I’ve tried to plant sunn hemp for nitrogen fixation in small strips, but the deer always eradicate it. Going to mix it in on a broader scale this spring. Might be worth mixing in yours as well

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                  I was thinking about the eagle seed forage soy beans. I have read great reviews on them.

Comment

This rain and cold snap should finally push the deer into the food plots, or at least so I am hoping. At least the hard freeze will take a lot of other forages out of play and make those plots really shine. My cameras are showing a growing stream of deer moving into the plots early and late, and I expect it to keep up now that some real cold is moving in.

Comment

Working...
                    X