Buck Forage Oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
    You drilling them or broadcasting them with that set-up ?

What seeding rate are you using ?
    Broadcast at approx 100lbs per acre for both seed and fertilizer

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      Gonna call b.s. where do you think seed oats come from?
      User name checks out

Comment

Planted BFO last year. I was surprised the deer didnt eat them very well and since they get such good reports on here. It actually went to seed. It looked great, made a wonderful cover crop, but the deer just wouldnt eat it. Turkeys ate the seed heads, so it wasnt a total bust.

Comment

I've planted regular old whole oats/feed oats/horse oats...whatever you want to call them with great success for years. Deer eat the heck out of them. The only year I had trouble was when we had cold cold weather. My brother always plants the buck forage oats. I always get mine from Tractor Supply. I've bought them from other places and they didn't do as well. That's my 2 cents. I mixed in a bag of buck forage oats one year, and it all looked the same. The one year I noticed a difference when we didn't have a big freeze was when I bought my feed oats from another feed store other then tractor supply. I plant them thick, and only plant 1 acre.

Comment

Last year I did buy seed oats, and they didn't do worth a crap. Bob oats...maybe. Back to horse oats this year.

Comment

I've seen radars plots on here and they look awesome year after year. Walker let's see yours...

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Planted BFO last year. I was surprised the deer didnt eat them very well and since they get such good reports on here. It actually went to seed. It looked great, made a wonderful cover crop, but the deer just wouldnt eat it. Turkeys ate the seed heads, so it wasnt a total bust.
                This is good info. thanks for sharing your experience

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                  I've had deer walk right over wheat to get to the Buck Forage Oats. Good luck.

Same experience I had

Comment

I make my own mix.
                    Go to Turner seed and pick them up.

Looks they already have a great blend
                    Last edited by Big pig; 07-23-2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I’ve always planted wheat, because it’s cheap. If we get some September rain in NW OK, I’m planning to try BFO’s this year. It was the plan last year too but no rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        I make my own mix.
                        Go to Turner seed and pick them up.

Looks they already have a great blend
                        https://www.turnerseed.com/fall-deer-.html

Thats a good blend but the downside of blends is seeds require different depths to be planted to maximize efficiency. Better to buy individual bags and plant separately within the same field to get the right depth for clover and oats that they need

Comment

An oat is an oat.. I cant begin to count the number of bags oats we have planted in the last 40+ years.. We were growing thick beautiful food plots of oats long before "Buck Forage" was ever a thought..
                          Now those "Trophy Buck Oats" are the ones to buy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                            An oat is an oat.. I cant begin to count the number of bags oats we have planted in the last 40+ years.. We were growing thick beautiful food plots of oats long before "Buck Forage" was ever a thought..
                            Now those "Trophy Buck Oats" are the ones to buy!!!
                            I get what you are saying, but that is like an alien saying, "a human is a human" or "an apple is an apple" there are so many varieties and variations within plants and breeding for specific traits like cold hardy, fast growing, slow growing, drought resistant, wet tolerant etc. Its doing a disservice to claim that every corn plant, watermelon, or oat is alike when there has been so much cultivation over the years with money and research to show otherwise.

I will say I came across some videos of a person testing Buck Forage Oats vs Tractor Supply whole oats and the Tractor Supply might be worth it if there isn't a cold front. Issue is he had tractor supply oats for 15 a bag, BFO oats for 45 a bag. When looking up Tractor Supply Whole Oats that he used, they are now 27 a bag versus BFO for 30 a bag. The savings isn't there to go cheap in this instance. Better to go with the cold tolerant seed with 97% purity and 85% germination vs whatever you get in the feed oats.

Comment

Is that BFO price for this year? The place I get them from hasn't gotten a price from them yet and he seem to think it will be higher this year?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                                Did you fertilize? One of the best things to do is fertilize heavy. It will make you plant more nutritious and palatable to the deer

Comment

Working...
                                X