Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

East Texas Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason View Post
    Any low fence land in East Texas, he's dead. If I were a betting man, I would put large amounts of money he doesn't make through the first week in November. The only question in my mind is, if not you, who?
    Jason, what in tarnation is on your avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Jason, what in tarnation is on your avatar?
      LOL

7-8 years ago we were in Arkansas and had a fairly large snow storm come through. I dusted the snow off my green TBH sticker on my back glass of my pickup and took a picture. It's been my avatar every since.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        That's awesome that you have that opportunity. I can tell you from hunting Nacogdoches & Rusk counties for ~35 years that what you have is not the norm for where we are unless they are on a large managed property.

As an example, we have killed 1 buck off our place in the last 4 years. We see 100"- 120" 2-3yo deer nearly every year and let them walk. I've yet to see one return the next the next year.

The OP has a mature trophy class deer for that part of Texas. He should shoot it if he wants it. I would.

I would be absolutely shocked if that deer makes it past opening weekend of gun season.
        i feel your pain for sure, just pointing out that sometimes these dudes are either very smart or very lucky, most likely both.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          i feel your pain for sure, just pointing out that sometimes these dudes are either very smart or very lucky, most likely both.
          I would totally agree with you except there is a solid 50 percent chance he wont even be hunting there next year.

Comment

Shoot immediately.

Comment

Shoot him, if not some else might!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t normally respond to this kind of absurd post, but this one is just too good to pass up. First off, I don’t believe the OP is really asking a question but is offhandedly bragging about a super nice buck he’s got on camera. Second, what’s more absurd is the responses not to shoot the buck. It’s easy to get all high and mighty about game management when you’re talking about someone else’s buck, but I’d bet every person advising the OP to pass this buck wouldn’t hesitate to shoot if he walked out in front of them. I’ll be honest though. I’ve killed a 180 class, three 170 class, a couple 160 class, and at least that many 150 class, and I would shoot that buck every day and twice on Sunday.

To the OP, shoot the buck if that makes you happy and don’t worry about what random folks on the internet think, because chances are many of them will never see a buck of that quality outside of a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
                  I don’t normally respond to this kind of absurd post, but this one is just too good to pass up. First off, I don’t believe the OP is really asking a question but is offhandedly bragging about a super nice buck he’s got on camera. Second, what’s more absurd is the responses not to shoot the buck. It’s easy to get all high and mighty about game management when you’re talking about someone else’s buck, but I’d bet every person advising the OP to pass this buck wouldn’t hesitate to shoot if he walked out in front of them. I’ll be honest though. I’ve killed a 180 class, three 170 class, a couple 160 class, and at least that many 150 class, and I would shoot that buck every day and twice on Sunday.

To the OP, shoot the buck if that makes you happy and don’t worry about what random folks on the internet think, because chances are many of them will never see a buck of that quality outside of a pen.
                  great post

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post

First off, since you think my post is absurd, let's clear the air. One, I don't get on this site to "offhandendly brag" about anything, much less a deer. If I wanted to brag, I too would post a picture of my living room of the 160's, 150's and 140's of east texas bucks I've killed. Secondly, since this is a bowhunting website, I was generally curious as to how many guys would kill this buck, given my scenario. The reason I asked this question is I passed a decent buck last year that has yet to reappear, so yes, I'm on the fence about whether or not I should do the same again, or go ahead and kill him. The management side of me says to give him another year, but the other side knows how hard it is to kill a 145" buck with a bow in east texas. Guess I'll decide when I see him in person.

Comment

I’d let it roll. If he was 5 I would for sure kill him. You’ve killed enough good deer the 50% chance is worth taking because if he does make it, jumps again, then he is threatening your top deer on the wall. Plus the story.

You can kill him this year, the property doesn’t sell and you can stare at him on the wall everyday but you’ll always wonder what he would have been at 5.5 years old lol. If it will bother you if someone else kills him or the place sells then he means more to you than you think.

I was in your spot once. Maybe not quite as top end of a 4 yr old as you but easy 140’s with trash. I passed him at 18 yards on video the second week of season because I was hunting 2 other big deer that he regularly traveled with. Opening day of rifle the neighbor wounded the 140’s 8 I passed, the other 4 yr old was shot November 15th scored 168”, the third deer I never saw after early November and I ate a tag on that place that year. Place sold 2 years later. It bothered me a little passing that deer then the neighbor wounding him, but I was busy chasing other deer to really regret it. You’ll know if he is big enough when you see him to make the right call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been in that position before. We were already told we would lose our place at the end of the season. I eventually decided to take the buck because I wanted to. I guess the bottom line is if he makes you happy shoot him. He a nice buck for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That deer scares the heck out of 150” if not over. If I had the chance I would kill him but it’s your call to make. Where I hunt, I’m lucky to see a 13” wide buck much less a 4.5 yo. Good luck!

Comment

shoot that deer dude

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              I would shoot and you low balled score. If that deer dont break 50, I'll buy you a steak dinner.
                              AGREE!! That deer will gross closer to mid 160's than he will 140's

Comment

I'd shoot him. I had a place I hunted a couple of years ago that I let a few good bucks walk because of age. The place sold right after hunting season and I no longer had permission to hunt it. Even if he doesn't start building houses on it next year there's still a chance someone else will get a shot at him

Comment

Working...
                                X