No announcement yet.

Trapping season 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a gallon of ZEP floor polish and dipped all of my traps yesterday, except for a few that hadn't been in the ground & still had good wax.
    Dipped all of my drag chains, too, to help protect them a little. Also dipped my 6 DPs.
    First time to use the stuff, but it sure was easy. It has an odor to it, but the traps don't smell today.

Comment

I am going to start (attempting) trapping some of the coyotes off the place I hunt. Is there a preferred brand of foot hold traps to get?

I am planning on getting #2 traps as far as I know if that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
        I am going to start (attempting) trapping some of the coyotes off the place I hunt. Is there a preferred brand of foot hold traps to get?

Duke's brand are good & solid and less expensive. They are foreign made, though. Still a good trap.
        The popular ones seem to be Bridger and Minnesota Brand (MB).
        Victors are also good.
        Sterling traps are the Cadillac. Expensive.
        Jake traps by JC Conner are just as solid, but I think a little cheaper. IIRC.
        I am using a mix of Sleepy Creek double long springs (not currently in production), Victor vintage double long spring (no longer in production) one Triumph dls (no longer in production) and a couple Duke 4-coiled 4s.
        I grew up with dls's that my dad had, that were unfortunately destroyed in a fire, so that's what I bought.
        Also, because I could put big pans on them.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20220209_144829.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	573.9 KB
ID:	24691663

Comment

I am about to get started making the rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post

If you are targeting coyotes specifically I’d got with a #3 size. Your just getting so much more trap for not that much more money. A Duke550 is pretty much ready to go out of the box. F&T has pretty good prices.

Comment

We do have some bobcats occasionally on the place that would be an added bonus. I appreciate your advice Brute and Shark.

Comment

Got a li'l sump-sumpin' in the mail.
                It was interesting to order from James Lucero. All by phone & check.
                Hadn't done that in a while.

F&T also sent that red fox urine as a freebie, with a thank-you note!
                Can't beat that!
                First time to try any of this stuff, with the exception of the coyote urine.
                Changing it up from this past winter.

Name:	20220907_162648.jpg
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	24692149

Comment

For those that don't know, and I suspect most (like I was), the JL#1 is a firm, pastey lure, and the Coyotero is a liquid, with sediment.
                  Used the same way, though.

Comment

Mr Lucero and his wife were a hoot to deal with. They were both extremely thankful. I ordered 2 of everything he had lol !

Comment

Just got this at Llano Feed. Probably last 2+ years, but it's what was available.
                      Dittmar in Fredericksburg didn't have the stuff this year.
                      They had smaller ones.

Name:	20220909_095134.jpg
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	24692234

Comment

I tried a new bed mix this year. 50/50 peat moss and river sand. I use a 1/2” thick under all and bed with the moss/sand mix. I make sure I have 3/8” min over the pan. The sets stayed functional through a total of about 10” of rain over a weeks time. I was really pleased with the results.
                        Last edited by sharkhunter; 09-09-2022, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Made 4 sets yesterday evening on a stretch of road behind my brother's house.

Name:	20220910_190906.jpg
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	24692292

Name:	20220910_192225.jpg
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	24692293

Name:	20220910_193145.jpg
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	24692294

Name:	20220910_194334.jpg
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	24692295

Comment

A hog flipped out 3 of the sets.

Name:	20220911_095635.jpg
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	24692296

Name:	20220911_094912.jpg
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	24692297

Name:	20220911_094227.jpg
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	24692298

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                              For those that don't know, and I suspect most (like I was), the JL#1 is a firm, pastey lure, and the Coyotero is a liquid, with sediment.
                              Used the same way, though.
                              Actually, the JL#1 is also a liquid. It just had a thick film on top when I opened the little jar, so I thought it was a paste.

Comment

I threw all of the fresh-dug dirt behind the sets and used the dry stuff to bed the traps, but the hog still liked the fresh dirt smell, and rooted a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X