• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapping season 2021-2022

Number 28 off our place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What’s the best set for bobcats. I have some I am trying to thin out and hunting has not been successful

Comment

3 more coyotes and 2 more cats the last few days

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post
          Flat sets and a few dirt holes but I make a tiny hole for the dirt holes. I use the driver to make it. Mainly Wayne Derrick lures and Jimmy Brooks baits. If y’all haven’t used Mr. brooks baits he has some really good ones. He lives in menard Texas and has a Facebook.
          Thanks for the info. Derricks is good stuff, I haven’t used Mr Brooks bait/lure. I would say I’ve tried hundreds of different bait/lures and have settled in on about a dozen different ones. I only use about 4/6 different attractants a year and never use the same bait 2 years in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
            What’s the best set for bobcats. I have some I am trying to thin out and hunting has not been successful

Bobcats are visual hunters so you have to catch their eye. A turkey or goose wing about 2 to 4ft off the ground is good to get them to your set, then a tuft of feathers with a little gland lure nearby will get them caught. Cats are pretty easy to catch if you find their trails. Good luck!!

Comment

Trapping season 2021-2022

Another question. Do you have to boil, dye and wax your traps. I have one newer 550 and a bunch of old victor double springs that my granddad gave me. I have caught small pigs in them so they are still pretty stout. They are all rust colored due to age. What are the advantages of dying and waxing. I used to trap lots of coons back in high school but never messed with coyotes and bob cats.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                Bobcats are visual hunters so you have to catch their eye. A turkey or goose wing about 2 to 4ft off the ground is good to get them to your set, then a tuft of feathers with a little gland lure nearby will get them caught. Cats are pretty easy to catch if you find their trails. Good luck!!

Thanks I am going put out a couple traps next time I am at the ranch

Comment

You can dye and wax, dip in various paint products cut with everything from coleman fuel to acetone and you can dip them in Full Metal Jacket (Zep floor wax if you want to save some money since it is the exact same thing per the labels)

Some swear by one thing and swear at the others

Traps I have been using were dipped a few times in Zep's.

Comment

Busy weekend. In addition to finishing up a welding job I put super stakes with 20” of #3 mb chain on 5 dozen traps and built five drags I’m really pleased with. I have a road that has a concrete base and you can’t drive in earth anchors.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by sharkhunter; 04-03-2022, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Sharkhunter those drags turned out amazing! That’s a pile of coil springs, I think you might have been bitten by the trapping bug!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                        Sharkhunter those drags turned out amazing! That’s a pile of coil springs, I think you might have been bitten by the trapping bug!
                        That drag design really digs in on open ground and in the brush he’s not going far at all. I’m going to put 10ft of #3 chain on them.

Next I need to weld all the j-hooks, that’s going to take some time lol ! I also Built a couple of drivers for them as well.

Comment

That had to hurt. Ground wasn’t tore up to bad but I had just an ear in the snare.

Comment

Darn pig really messed that snare spot up.

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post
                              That had to hurt. Ground wasn’t tore up to bad but I had just an ear in the snare.

It was that coyotes lucky day, but I bet he didn’t think so at the time!

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                                What are the advantages of dying and waxing. I used to trap lots of coons back in high school but never messed with coyotes and bob cats.

I dyed mine bc it's "what you do", basically.
                                I think it's just a traditional method of rust prevention. I started waxing because I bought 4 traps 2nd hand that had been waxed previously and they were much easier to set because they were lubricated by the wax. I hadn't realized that advantage previously. I assumed that waxing was just something for water sets and traps.

Comment

Working...
                                X