Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Thoughts on this 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. Hill country has been tough on me also.
    Hence...the questioning lol

Comment

I would probably pass that buck and hope for something bigger. Looks middle aged - might be better next year.

I wouldn't shoot him to benefit the herd. He's just another buck that might be better next season.

Comment

The only benefit I saw in taking him isn’t seen in the pictures.
        He’s a bully. Just considered that he might be the reason a lot of my better and younger bucks have disappeared this year.

Comment

He maybe older then you think. I would shoot him as he aint great and ho G1's

Comment

I see similar genetics but different deer. Those 2020 pics look like a younger buck to me, but you just never know until you see the teeth.

Comment

For what it’s worth. The only two bucks that were unquestionably on my shoot list this year.

A fat old 8 and a notorious 6 that’s been 6 as long as we’ve ever seen him that for some weird reason doesn’t show his age well either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                Only reason I even considered the 5-5.5 range is the 2018 pics I have, but I’m not 100% sure the 2018 buck is the exact same one. But he’s mighty close. I need to get the picture onto my phone so I can upload it for the green screen.

Edit: This is hill country also.
                how many acres is the place you hunt and how many hunters? also have you shot a deer like him before? i could see that deer being a 5 YO in the gillespie county area. if you have better quality up and comers then you might need to pull out of the herd. we definitely manage off bullies if they don't have the genetics we want. also i don't see that deer getting much better genetically....

Comment

Pasture I’m on is two hunters, me and my wife. It’s about 230 ish acres. But it’s part of a much larger ranch overall.

The ten in the pictures is by no means what I would consider a trophy. We have several bucks that are the same age and a year younger that have been getting the pass this year. I’ve shot a few 8’s, a 10 and a 13 that were all better deer than him.

Comment

Those 2018 pics are NOT a 2 year old. Didn’t even look at horns so can’t tell you if it’s the same buck or not.

Comment

Nah I didn’t think that was the case either.
                      3.5 at the youngest for that 2018 pic.

THAT is what had me questioning this deer and that was IF it was the same deer.

Comment

Man, I like that 4pt! Wow!

Comment

What's weird is that he looks younger in 20 than he did in 19

Comment

We did have a good year this year rain wise. But compared to last year the acorns this year are non existent.

That’s the only reason I can think he looks healthier.
                            I also have September pictures from both years showing him before the testosterone bulked him up.

Edit: at this point he’s getting the pass. If I’m having to think this hard on him he needs the time. Next year if he will probably be green light though.
                            Last edited by SwampBuck; 12-19-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Here you go. September pics. Almost a year apart exactly. Not the best pictures but you get the just.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                                What's weird is that he looks younger in 20 than he did in 19
                                i thought the same thing

Comment

Working...
                                X