No announcement yet.

Young or Really Old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hunt in Kimble county and that deer looks young to me. Long snout, round eyes, stove-pipe neck. And honestly, he does not have the headgear I would expect on a mature deer in that area.

My lease is just south of London near the llano river.

*Disclamer - I am not an aging guru like some on here. I am better in the field but pictures are tough to age IMO.
    Last edited by -HIC-; 09-22-2020, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
      I don't think his hocks are stained. I think that's probably scours.

I'm leaning toward older deer because of the way his back is swayed, ribs and shoulder blades protrude, and pot belly. I would have to see more pictures to be sure.
      We have a resident buck that is between 7 and 9 years old (based on multiple years of observation) and he looks 3.
      This is correct. Lots of people mistaken these post mature bucks for younger deer not looking at them in detail.

Comment

Do you have any pics of other deer in the 3yo range and 6-7 on your place? Just curious how they compare. Im torn and could go both ways. Probably more leaning towards him being older though

Comment

Here is our resident old deer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	switchback2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	24632218

Click image for larger version

Name:	switchback.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	24632219

Comment

I say older and not great health.
            His head looks long. And just not muscular like a young and comer

Comment

Originally posted by MillsJake View Post
              Do you have any pics of other deer in the 3yo range and 6-7 on your place? Just curious how they compare. Im torn and could go both ways. Probably more leaning towards him being older though
              Here is one of our 7 year olds
              Attached Files

Comment

This is what an old deer on my place looks like
                Attached Files

Comment

This is what an old deer on my place looks like
                  Yeah we have quite a few deer that look like that. When I was saying mature I meant more like in the 9 or 10+ year old range on the buck in the OP. What would you put yours at? 7 or 8?

I think there's a possibility the OP deer is 4 or 5 and was wounded or something last year. Just something not quite right about him.

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                    Yeah we have quite a few deer that look like that. When I was saying mature I meant more like in the 9 or 10+ year old range on the buck in the OP. What would you put yours at? 7 or 8?

I think there's a possibility the OP deer is 4 or 5 and was wounded or something last year. Just something not quite right about him.
                    This one i have at 7 this year. I plan on shooting him if i get the chance as he isnt as good as he was last year as a 6yo. Ive never had any deer make it to 9-10 to have personal experience with a deer that age.

I guess im leaning more towards he is an old deer. I guess the only way to know for sure is the teeth. Id say shoot him mostly out of curiosity

Comment

This one i have at 7 this year. I plan on shooting him if i get the chance as he isnt as good as he was last year as a 6yo. Ive never had any deer make it to 9-10 to have personal experience with a deer that age.

I guess im leaning more towards he is an old deer. I guess the only way to know for sure is the teeth. Id say shoot him mostly out of curiosity
                      Ours seem to hit their max potential at 6 but they do start to do some cool stuff after that with kickers and mass and whatnot. Seems their overall frame and beam length max at 6 though.

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                        Ours seem to hit their max potential at 6 but they do start to do some cool stuff after that with kickers and mass and whatnot. Seems their overall frame and beam length max at 6 though.
                        Thats what ive noticed as well. Hopefully i can shoot him or i have another 6yo thats almost identical just bigger/longer tines and has a crab claw at the end on the right. both are solid big bodies though

Comment

This is a fun one! He is either a baby or a geezer, and probably not anywhere in between. I'd imagine that he'll look his age in a few weeks once the velvet gets off and his neck starts to swell up.

Comment

Prob 4-5

Comment

Sorry, I was interrupted and those pictures posted before I finished typing. We aren't sure exactly how old that deer is but he was in his prime when we first bought the place. He was at least 5 and probably 6-7. That was three years ago so guessing he is 7-9 this year and I'm leaning toward 9. The point is he could easily be mistaken for a young deer if you didn't have any history on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                                Sorry, I was interrupted and those pictures posted before I finished typing. We aren't sure exactly how old that deer is but he was in his prime when we first bought the place. He was at least 5 and probably 6-7. That was three years ago so guessing he is 7-9 this year and I'm leaning toward 9. The point is he could easily be mistaken for a young deer if you didn't have any history on him.
                                Yeah off of those pics I'd put that deer at 4. Having history with the deer is the way to go. The buck in the OP is a new deer we don't have any history with. He's right on the edge of the property so likely came from the neighbors.

Comment

Working...
                                X