No announcement yet.

Young or Really Old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a deer that showed up recently. Roman nose block head and small and thin. Everything says young but his head and face. I’ll take pictures tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
      One marker that never changes is the head/face. His body does look post-mature.

This buck has the look of a young deer in the face: long, narrow skull and nose. A post mature buck will have a body like that and have a short nose and a wide, blocky skull. Of course there are exceptions and this buck could very well be one.

Do you have any history with this deer?

Edit: he also has no sag in his brisket and no dimple in his flank.
      No history with him. Near the property line of a big bordering property. Just showed up.

Comment

As others have said, it's really hard to tell. If I had to take a guess, it would be young. I don't get to look at west Texas deer as much as our deer here either.

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
          No history with him. Near the property line of a big bordering property. Just showed up.
          Seeing him in person might make your decision for you, especially the closer it gets to the rut.

Comment

Young. 4.5

Comment

Velvet is the hardest time of the year to judge age. Wait until he is 3-4 weeks after hard horned when his body fills out.

I am going with post mature

Comment

Any thoughts on what that black spot is on his back left leg? Or the growth on his face? Wondering if this deer got shot or gored last year or something. I agree with the potential of a young/middle aged wounded or malnourished buck.

Comment

I don't think his hocks are stained. I think that's probably scours.

I'm leaning toward older deer because of the way his back is swayed, ribs and shoulder blades protrude, and pot belly. I would have to see more pictures to be sure.
                  We have a resident buck that is between 7 and 9 years old (based on multiple years of observation) and he looks 3.

Comment

Why does he have to be young or old, can't he be middle aged like me? I'll go 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                      Any thoughts on what that black spot is on his back left leg? Or the growth on his face? Wondering if this deer got shot or gored last year or something. I agree with the potential of a young/middle aged wounded or malnourished buck.
                      Warts

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        I don't think his hocks are stained. I think that's probably scours.

I'm leaning toward older deer because of the way his back is swayed, ribs and shoulder blades protrude, and pot belly. I would have to see more pictures to be sure. .
                        You said it best! Hawks have no color thats a scare/scab

Comment

My guess would be young

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm leaning to the younger side

Comment

Both deer look like they are 4 years old at the most.

Comment

Looks like his jaw has been broken. Makes it hard to guess age.

Comment

Working...
                                X