Dove plot mgmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
    Jesse from Turner informed me this morning that it is as you stated above, a fungicide/insecticide coating to protect the seed.
    Good deal. Now we just need some rain for the magic to start

Comment

Picked up my peredoviks yesterday - waiting for 5/5 weekend to till and get em in the ground

Comment

How do peredoviks or natives stand up to cows?

Also, can these plots be used for any fall plantings post dove season? Seems like it would be too late to get in oats/rye/etc
        Last edited by knighttime; 04-19-2023, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knighttime View Post

Also, can these plots be used for any fall plantings post dove season? Seems like it would be too late to get in oats/rye/etc
          I'm no expert, but if you hunted doves in september then wanted to disc the peredoviks under and plant Oats in October should be no issue?

Comment

After maturing? Or while growing? If it’s fenced deer will eat flowers but cattle will camp Out on them. So if there’s no fence it will be eaten.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
              After maturing? Or while growing? If it’s fenced deer will eat flowers but cattle will camp Out on them. So if there’s no fence it will be eaten.
              Both, wasn't sure on a cows preference for them. Guess that answers that though!

Comment

Both, wasn't sure on a cows preference for them. Guess that answers that though!
                I would have cattle break into my Waco place and never touch the native sunflowers. I know they will eat the peredoviks though.

Comment

Looks like I’m putting peredoviks in the ground Wednesday - calling for 8 days of potential rain starting Thursday

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                    Looks like I’m putting peredoviks in the ground Wednesday - calling for 8 days of potential rain starting Thursday
                    Yep I'm planting thursday and friday. Trying to do 7-8 acres total on two different properties.

Comment

Got 2 acres planted today. Had mower issues so we had to disc the tall grass and make the best of it.....took forever.

Once we got the ground worked well enough...the new-to-me planter worked great (thanks EastTexun)! I used a corn plate that wasnt perfect for sunflowers but it worked well enough for dove plots.

Disced 150 pounds of triple 13 and also some straight N....46-0-0 on it.

Sprayed with gly after we finished to get a jump on the weeds. Will spray clethodim once they are up and the grass makes an appearance.

Will try to plant another 2 acres in 10 days to stagger the maturity date.

Now for the rain dance.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish we had enough dove in my part of Texas to actually be able to do this and have a good hunt. I’m about to try to establish some different types of native sunflower seed I’ve stratified in some pine plantation just for some diversity but would be cool to actually be a bale to hunt it.

Comment

I got 2 acres planted today at 50# of peredovik per acre. I went heavy. Tilled the ground on Monday… put 200# per acre 21-7-14 with it
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by EastTexasMan; 05-03-2023, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Looking good guys. Mine are starting to come up in young county. Need rain bad though or I will lose them.

Comment

Glad to see it getting done Steve!

Comment

You guys planting a few acres of peredovik sunflowers, the deer don’t destroy the whole plot? Or do you fence them out?

Comment

Working...
                                X