No announcement yet.

Dove plot mgmt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read that cattle won't eat up the native sf once they are mature like some of the others. I was hoping maybe I could use the cattle to bust them up a little before season and eat the regular grass down to make it a little easier for birds and hunters.

Comment

Heat has slowed down some growth . Natives doing great. Hybrids are 50/50. Some headed out great others still have green bulbs just need rain again. These 108 + days are rough on them.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dove Plot 2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	26522069Hope everyone enjoys their plots and dove season - mine was eaten to nothing but 2 acres of sunflower stalks. **** deer were even in plot smiling at me when I drove up
        Attached Files
        Last edited by EastTexasMan; 06-29-2023, 12:46 PM.

Comment

If I try millet next year, will the deer whipe it out too?

Comment

Dadgummit ETM! They did a number on your plot for sure, sorry to hear/see that man. Headed up hopefully next weekend to check on mine, between the heat, lack of rain recently and the deer, these sunflowers don't stand much of a chance!

Comment

Sorry to see that. They did tear into it. I would think the deer would eat millet too when freshly sprouted.

Comment

They will. You have to outplant deer with acres.

Comment

Dang ETM I hate to see that. I think natives are pretty much immune to grazing from cows and deer. They are certainly less work and excellent for dove. Just got to get them established. Like DUKFVR said...I think the deer would eat millet too....especially those young sprouts.

Comment

The heat and lack of rain make the peredoviks do an interesting adaptation. They go into survival of the species mode. They stop growing up and put all their energy into making a seed head. When you have tImely rains they will grow 6-7 feet tall. When you don't....they look like this. Short plant but still good seed heads.

Comment

Those SF's look great Steve!

Comment

The latest on our Blanco county natives

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                          The latest on our Blanco county natives

https://youtu.be/kKHly9I_jGU
                          Looks great Casey! Did you plant them last winter?

Comment

Sunflowers seem to be weathering the heat and deer pretty well in Hamilton county. Deer had nipped a few but not many. They appear to be much more interested in the common devil's-claw that had sprouted up all along the perimeter of the plot. Sesame is doing ok, but not as well as the SF's.

Name:	SF Sunset 07.01.23.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	26525276 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sesame 07.01.23.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	26525277 Click image for larger version

Name:	Sesame Pods 07.01.23.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	26525278 Click image for larger version

Name:	SF07.01.23.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	26525279

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post

Looks great Casey! Did you plant them last winter?
                              Planted them around March 1st. I was concerned it was going to be too late. Doesn't appear to be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post

Name:	Dove Plot 2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	26522069Hope everyone enjoys their plots and dove season - mine was eaten to nothing but 2 acres of sunflower stalks. **** deer were even in plot smiling at me when I drove up
                                Same as my planted plots. And we don’t have that many deer!
                                was thinking about millet instead also for next year.

BP

Comment

Working...
                                X